cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land line not ringing

Timbothy
On our wavelength

My Virgin Media landline no longer rings with incoming calls.

If you ring the landline phone from another phone you can hear it ringing on the other phone, but the landline phone itself does not make a ringing sound.

If you pick up the landline phone whilst you are ringing it from the other phone - the call will connect and you can have a normal conversation. 

The landline phone has a normal dial tone and you can make external calls like normal.

8 REPLIES 8

Trooper05
Tuning in

sounds familiar, i'm going through hell trying to get virgin to do something about my phone - i just pray you have a mobile to take up the slack mate cause if you're stuck like me with JUST a landline, virgin dont care

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Timbothy, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with the ringer on your handset. 

It's worth checking the handset itself to ensure the ringer is on. If you have a digital handset then make sure the volume is turned up too. 

If this is already the case, try a replace handset to see if this makes any difference. If again this makes no difference then it could be an issue with the power coming from the cabinet. 

Let me know the results from the above steps and if you are still having issues, we can book an engineer for you 🙂 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Trooper05, 

I'm sorry to hear you re having ongoing issues. 

I can see you are currently speaking with our team through private message. I would advise to keep the conversation going there so my colleague can help further 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Timbothy
On our wavelength

Hi Kath_F, I have finally gotten around to teting my handsets on another line belonging to someone else and it is in working order ringing nicely. I also have attached a cordless handset (in working oder and a different corded handset (brand new and tested as working on different line) to my line and and I still get a dial tone can make calls but there is no notification or ringing from either handset. This points to an issue of the power coming in or a fault in the exchange or street box.  Certainly not the equipment attached to the line. Can you.please advise as am I not receiving the service I am paying for. 

Thanks,

Tim

hi kath, i am do exactly what you request of me and responding to my private chat, but as this is an issue going way beyond TWO WEEKS now with no end in sight, i reserve the right to inquire with others as to what the hell is going on...does that sound reasonable to you?

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Timbothy,

Thank you for coming back to us after running the required tests. We really appreciate it! 🙂

If this issue is still persisting, I think arranging for a technician appointment is the best next step. Please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon to confirm a few details.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Timbothy,

Thank you for coming back to me via private message and confirming your details. I have now booked you a technician visit for your landline not ringing issue – you can check and amend the date and time of your appointment via your online account.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account. 
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the MyVM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Timbothy,

Thanks for coming back to me via Private Message. As my previous message, please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit as access to the property will be needed for this appointment.

Keep us updated on how you get on at the appointment and if you need anything else going forward.

Thank you!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team