cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land line incoming calls not working

GillWashington
Joining in

Really hoping for some help. I’m a brand new customer joined in jan. My land line transferred over mid Jan. For the third week my land line still isn’t working for incoming calls. For the first two weeks when you called the number it said this number is currently not taking in coming calls. This week it now says the number is not recognised. I can make out going calls on it and I have a dialling tone. 
I have called VM every other day for the last 3 weeks to get an engineer to come out. All I get is your line is fine. It’s your phone you need to buy a new one. I know this is not true. 
I’ve had the phone put down on me 3 times and others just saying they’ll get back to me!
I’ve even spoken to the sales person that signed me up and he’s tried getting me an engineer as he says it’s not the phone it’s technical, but  I’ve heard nothing and it’s still not working. I need it sorting. I’m already missing important calls and my elderly mother lives with me and needs the phone working!

Can anyone help or advise. Ultimately I just want an engineer to come out and correct it. 
thanks 

7 REPLIES 7

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@GillWashington wrote:

Really hoping for some help. I’m a brand new customer joined in jan. <snip>

Presumably when you moved to VM you ported an existing telephone number over from your previous provider?

When you dial out from your VM landline, does the caller ID show your number you ported or a temporary number VM gave you while waiting for the number port to complete?

Yes i moved over with my existing telephone number. When I ring from it it comes up with my correct telephone number that I had before 

@GillWashington wrote:

Yes i moved over with my existing telephone number. When I ring from it it comes up with my correct telephone number that I had before 

Sounds like something has gone adrift with your number port then and it has only partly completed.

One of the VM forum team will reply here within a few days and should be able to assist you.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @GillWashington 

Welcome to the community

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your landline at the moment.

Can you confirm if you're phoneline is plugged into the main master socket, an extension or into the router?

How many pieces of equipment are connected to the phone line?

There are a few troubleshooting checks I will need you to perform to see if they are successful in resolving the issue. Can you: 

• Check the phone is seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets.
  • Unplug the phone and check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know if any of these checks work at all, or if anything changes with the dial tone and incoming calls. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi @Carley_S

The phone is plugged directly in to the hub router as instructed to do so by the engineer that came and installed everything. 
There is only the phone plugged in, nothing else. 

I have done the first two checks. No change with my phone. 
I can’t do the 3rd as I don’t have a spare phone. However I did try this when it first happened. I borrowed my neighbours as they also have just joined Virgin and their land line works. Their phone didn’t work when I plugged it in to my hub. 

Thank you for trying these steps for me @GillWashington 

We'll investigate this further to try and get this resolved for you. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for joining me on private message @GillWashington 

Sorry we weren't able to fully resolve this for you today. I have raised this to the team to investigate the port and service further. This can take up to 24 working hours - please do let us know if you have any further issues or if anything has changed at your side by end of day Monday and we'll investigate this further if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley