cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Land line dialing out.

DELBOY52
On our wavelength

Hello,

Yesterday, we found that we were unable to dial out on our landline. Instead, there was an instant message from Virgin requesting us to contact them.  I did this, apparently as I had not booked an appointment to have our land line changed to a Fibre connection, our line out had been blocked. I therefore spoke to an assistant, for what seemed like an hour, and eventually an appointment with an engineer was made. That appointment being in almost 2 weeks time. Having arranged that, I asked the assistant as to whether he could reconnect our dial out facility. He said that he would do that straight away, although we may not be reconnected immediately.

That was a day and a half ago, but we are still unable to dial out. We need to get in touch with a Doctor, so our line is very important to us.  Has anyone else experienced this ? When am I likely to be reconnected ? Will Virgin reimburse me for this inconvenience ?  Bearing in mind that we were advised that the change over is not until 14th June.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

19 REPLIES 19

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi DELBOY52

Thanks for posting. I am very sorry for the confusion over the line restriction. This sounds like we're upgrading you to the 21CV but we've not heard from you about this so placed the block on there to get the ball rolling. I will be able to PM you now to ensure this is removed as it sounds we've got a tech booking for the migration of the phone services.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

DELBOY52
On our wavelength

Thank you for your reply John.  But, as we were advised that the change over will not be until 14th June why cut us off now ?  And, can we be reconnected ?  Should our neighbours be advised that this is happening, as many of them are elderly. ?

Thanks.

If you respond to my PM, I will be delighted to assist further 🙂

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

DELBOY52
On our wavelength

Hi John,

Details have been given as requested.

Thanks for joining me via PM - DELBOY52

Just to update the thread, this has all been sorted. Please let me know if there is anything further we can assist with.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

DELBOY52
On our wavelength

Hi John. 

Thank you for your assistance with our phone. I am very pleased to say that we had an outside connection early this morning.

It's now fingers crossed for the delivery of a new set top box  -  ours keeps on freezing up,  has a slow connection, and some of our recorded programs become pixelated when viewing them.  When it has a bad day, we can have all 3 problems on just one program.

Also hoping that the engineer visits us on the 21st with the new modem.

Cheers,

Derek

Let us know how you get on with the replacement TV box, Derek. Best 

John_GS
Forum Team

DELBOY52
On our wavelength

Hello John.

The new set top box has not arrived yet, and the engineer who came on Saturday to change the Router knew nothing about it. I'm beginning to wonder if it was ever ordered for me.  The Engineer came on Saturday afternoon to change the Router for an upgraded one for the Fibre land line. This , he thought, would be a 40 minute job.  However, he actually spent over 2 + 1/2 hours with us as he was unable to link up, and get authorisation for the new Router on my account. He eventually gave up with that one, after sending numerous messages to the administrator. He then tried another Router, and after some time, was successful in setting that one up. We then learned that although we could use our old analogue phone in another room, it would not ring as the new line does not have any electrical power.  That was never explained to us at all.  Luckily we have other land line phones.

At present, my computer is running fine as I have an ethernet cable connection through to the Router.  However, My Wife's laptop will not connect via Wi Fi, and our Alexa will not connect at all, even though the whole system has TWICE been switched off and on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi @DELBOY52

Glad to hear everything was eventually set up for you and is running well. 

Regarding your WiFi concerns, I have checked our systems and cannot see a reason from our side causing this. I confirm that everything has good levels and is in spec. Is it just the laptop and the Alexa that will not connect? Do you see the network name at all in the available WiFi options? How far are your devices from the router?

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley