cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping my home phone number

chrisellins
Tuning in

25 years ago when I moved to St Albans I was given a home telephone number from Virgin. Over the years I have moved home on 4 occasions and service provider on numerous, each time retaining my home telephone number. 

Last October my Mum died and I chose to inherit her broadband and home telephone contract with the agreement of the provider to retain my details. What was supposed to happen was a smooth exchange between Vodaphone and Talktalk. What has happened is Vodaphone has declined to port the number because it is a "Virgin Media" number!!1 Too weird.

Who do I need to connect with to check this out so I can keep my home telephone of 25 years?

14 REPLIES 14

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello chrisellins

Thanks for your post 

Just to confirm that I understand this correct 

You were with Talk Talk and have moved to Vodafone

Now Vodafone are saying its not possible to bring the number over

Gareth_L

No. Was with Virgin years and years ago who set up the original number in the 1990's. Jan 7th this year I moved to Talktlak from Vodaphone who have supplied the home number for the last 9 years. They have disconnected my line on Feb 8th and have told TT that they cannot move my home telephone number because it is "Virgins"...?????

I have just called Vodaphone and although they can see my bill and home telephone they have no record of the number in their telecoms universe.

Driving me nuts....and all my friends and family

Thanks for explaining chrisellins

As you have left us now 

Sadly we have no way of assisting as its between 2 separate companies and not us 

Have you spoken with Talk Talk about this 

Gareth_L

I am sat with the CEO's office where this has been escalated. Vodaphone and Talktalk have both checked within their systems and both have confirmed the number is sat within the Virgin cosmos waiting to be allocated again. I want to be able to tak to someone who can check the line, identify the number and then help me get it back. Allocating to a new person is going to cause a whole heap of grief for someone as they will be getting all of my calls. Who can I talk to?

It feels like a 2 min task to check the number and explore what can be done

Our CEO Team can get this looked into 

As you have already raised it with them

Gareth_L

Hi Gareth, this was the CEO team of Talktalk. The help I need is to be able to identify a means to speak to a person in real time who can check my home number. I am struggling to find a means to engage a real person as all the dial ins need my account number or home telephone number and I have neither.

Hi chrisellins, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this one. 

This is a bit of a confusing one as from what you've said, you're not a VM customer and haven't been for many years. 

If the number has come back to us, it sounds as though this has been released back to us in error when you've moved providers so potentially one of the following may have happened:

• Vodafone have released the number to us by mistake
  • Talk Talk haven't requested the number port 
  • Your account with Vodafone closed before they could complete the port. 

All 3 of these would mean the number is returned to us. 

In order to get your phone number back, you can either open an account with Virgin Media directly and we can then assign the number to your new account, or you can speak to Talk Talk and they would need to use their own process and approach us directly to try and claim the number.

Hope that helps to explain things further for you and apologies once again for the issues you've had trying to sort this. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath, I believe the expression "this is doing my head in" adequately sums it up.

I cannot see how I can open an account without incurring duplicate charges. I will request the Talktalk CEO team reach out.

Is there anyway I can talk to someone in Virgin, pass on my number, and establish if it is the Virgin Cosmos? I don't want to invest a whole heap of time and energy just to discover it isn't.