cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping landline number (porting telephone number) - an extra step needed?

WillBuf
Tuning in

A while ago we signed up to Virgin Media for broadband and phone, requesting to keep our old telephone number.

The usual practice would be to contact the current supplier and give them notice that we are moving to another supplier (as they usually require a couple of weeks notice). However, reading through the forums, it became clear that this could interfere with the porting process, and it was best to leave it Virgin to contact the supplier (which they do after installation?).

So despite the fact that this would mean paying two suppliers for a couple of weeks, this is what we did. The engineer visited and did the installation, but then mentioned that would have to arrange this manually ourselves (?!). Now, we have received notice from our previous supplier that their service with us is ending, but nothing from VM themselves to say they are in the process of transferring the number (no status or update on our account page, or update email from the team).

How can we check that the number is actually being transferred across? [I don't want to leave it too late, in case there is something we have to do before the old supplier switches off the line.

Will

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mpmc
Superfast

When you signed up you would've been given the option to move the number over to VM, this porting should usually take place within 10 days of the install completing, or a bit longer if some issues arise.

You did the right thing in keeping your line active. As your current provider have notified you of your service ceasing this suggests that, VM may be porting in the number, which will end the service, or and be very careful here, you yourself have told your older provider to cease services after xyz date assuming VM will have ported the number by then.

If the number hasn't ported before the cease you may lose the number.  Contact your old provider ASAP and ask if there is a number port pending on your line. If there is, pray it ports over before the line is ceased by your old provider. 

If there is no number port pending but JUST a cease (there's a difference, "number port and then cease" vs just a "cease"), you must tell them not to cease the line and to accept the number port out, which once complete also ceases your line.

Yes, it's rather messy and somewhat confusing. It was a right nightmare for us.

HTH

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

mpmc
Superfast

When you signed up you would've been given the option to move the number over to VM, this porting should usually take place within 10 days of the install completing, or a bit longer if some issues arise.

You did the right thing in keeping your line active. As your current provider have notified you of your service ceasing this suggests that, VM may be porting in the number, which will end the service, or and be very careful here, you yourself have told your older provider to cease services after xyz date assuming VM will have ported the number by then.

If the number hasn't ported before the cease you may lose the number.  Contact your old provider ASAP and ask if there is a number port pending on your line. If there is, pray it ports over before the line is ceased by your old provider. 

If there is no number port pending but JUST a cease (there's a difference, "number port and then cease" vs just a "cease"), you must tell them not to cease the line and to accept the number port out, which once complete also ceases your line.

Yes, it's rather messy and somewhat confusing. It was a right nightmare for us.

HTH

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

That's very helpful, thank you - I'll contact my old supplier today (with fingers crossed 🙂

So, I called my old supplier, and they say they had no request to port the number, and the line was ceased on 18th July (day of the VM installation)

Then called Virgin Media, who told me that a port request was put in on 22nd/23rd June (when I first signed up to VM), this request has not been rejected, and to wait a couple of days, since it can take a while to port a number across.

What do I do - what can I do - now?

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi WillBuf, 

Thank you for reaching out to us here on the Community.

I am very sorry for any issues with the porting the number. 

To clarify, when were you advised to wait the few days please? Was this recently? If so, did the team confirm if the request had been resubmitted?

Let us know and we will be able to assist further. 

Thanks, 

Nat

Hi Nat

I talked to the VM team on Friday (22nd), they said nothing about resubmitting the request.

Will

@WillBuf wrote:

So, I called my old supplier, and they say they had no request to port the number, and the line was ceased on 18th July (day of the VM installation)

Then called Virgin Media, who told me that a port request was put in on 22nd/23rd June (when I first signed up to VM), this request has not been rejected, and to wait a couple of days, since it can take a while to port a number across.

What do I do - what can I do - now?

I'm sad to say it's very unlikely the number port will succeed given the length of time. From what you've said I can guess what has happened.

• You signed up to VM,  asked to port the number over. Their systems would've done a check to see if it can be ported. The process to port the number starts not long after.

Depending on how your old provider's system works.

•  A) Old provider got the request to port and rejected it as you were still in contract until xyz date. VM would've sent the request again. This would repeat until the contract ends and the default cease would occur.
  • B) Old provider's network supplier (usually Openreach) gets the "port then cease" request but only tells old supplier the service ceases on xyz date. The number enters limbo for a good few months then gets recycled.
  • C) The number goes back to Openreach and VM are waiting for it to be processed by OR and then ported. This can take a good long while and may fail completely.

I really hope it ports over for you and your best bet is to wait for someone from VM replies here and can chase it up.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @WillBuf,

Thank you for coming back to us and for clarifying when you last spoke to our team. I'll be more than happy to look into this for you from our side to ensure this issue is resolved for you.

I will send you a Private Message to confirm a few details, so please keep an eye out for a purple envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page. I will be in touch soon.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

So, after jumping through the usual hoops (to confirm who I am, the account, etc.) Paulina from the Forum Team was only able to say  "Unfortunately, if the number is no longer active, we will not be able to port it into our systems...", which is what we already suspected/knew.

However, when I contacted my old supplier again today (PlusNet) they mentioned that the number sometimes goes into 'quarantine' for 14 days, and if another port request is sent in (to OpenReach) after the quarantine period (i.e. after 1st Aug in my case), we may be able to get the number back?!

I've asked Paulina if VM are willing/able to put in another request in early August, but has anyone else heard about this, or had any luck with it?

We have a slight variation on this issue.. namely that the old number to be transferred was from Virgin and needs transferring to a new Virgin account at the same address.

Basically, the old account was in my dad's name, he passed away 16 years ago and Virgin wouldn't change the name on the account. Anyway, we decided to sort it out once and for all and get a new account in my mum's name.

The old account was ended on December 12th, and the new install took place on the 15th. 

Virgin were informed prior to the install that the old number needed to be kept, but they said as it was active they had to wait until after the cut-off date and then re-assign it after install. So, the day of the install I rang them to get the number transferred back..... still waiting for it to happen even though the lady I spoke to said it would be done within 48 hours.

My mum has had that number for over 40 years so needs it back pronto... any suggestions?