cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Home Phone Number

montanaguasa
Tuning in

Our broadband and home phone is being installed on the 23rd.We are elderly and hope that our present phone number will be brought over on the day of installation, will that be the case? 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Once your line has been activated it will take the previous provider upto 10 days to complete the port.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Hello

You can still use your previous one until the port has been completed, as the line will be still active until the port has completed, once the port has been completed the line from the old supplier will be cancelled and disconnected.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

Once your line has been activated it will take the previous provider upto 10 days to complete the port.

Regards Mike

Many thanks for your very fast replay.

Does that mean that we will not have a working phone for up to 10 days?

Hello

You can still use your previous one until the port has been completed, as the line will be still active until the port has completed, once the port has been completed the line from the old supplier will be cancelled and disconnected.

Regards Mike

Very helpful thank you.

Gill95
Joining in

Hi Im in exactly the same boat. Right from the start when I phone to get virgin in Ive stated I want to keep original phone number,the sales person told me to contact customer services,which I did on 29 July 2021 was on the phone for over 40 minutes,as was told a lot of paperwork needed done and was assured it would be ok. Virgin went in yesterday 6 Aug 2021 my home phone number had been changed. I phone customer services & after a few arguments was told oh yes it would be changed back and she would phone me back within 3 hours max and a manager would also phone me,guess what still waiting!!  I phoned back 5hours later. The man I spoke to put another call back with a manager as they were all in a meeting and assured me I would get a call back within 4-8 hours and NOT TO CALL THEM BACK AGAIN AS I'VE GOT A COMPLAINT NUMBER NOW. Its now Saturday at 9pm and Ive still not received a phone call from any manager. Ive been with virgin nearly 48 hrs and have been lied to not just once but 3 times now.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

How was your landline phone provided previously and do you still have access to it? Are you able to check if that original connection socket/number still working or has it gone off?

If your new VM service only went in yesterday, then you would be on a temporary number with VM until the port completes. Once your old line goes off, the port should happen quite quickly and your old number should be allocated to your new VM line.

Hi Goslow, I was told by the first customer service operator on 29 july it was ok to go ahead to shut down on the morning of the virgin install as all the paper work was done. I have no access to the original phone number now

goslow
Alessandro Volta

During this process before the new VM line was installed, did you instruct the previous provider to cancel the phone line? If so, when did you do that?