cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep land line number on new VM account (port across 2 accounts).

toxicwaster
On our wavelength

Hi guys,

Im taking a new VM contract at my dad's property (his current contract will be cancelled and I will be setting up a new one as the bill payer).

Question is how to keep/port his landline number across to my new account. I know you can do this switching to different providers but have struggled to find any information regarding porting the number across to a new VM account.

Cheers, any help appreciated!

10 REPLIES 10

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @toxicwaster

Thanks for posting. Have you set up the new deal at all yet?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Not just yet! Wanted to be sure of everything first before I start.

Has your Dad given notice to cancel? 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Nope! Again we are getting as much information as possible before proceeding, almost did today but I told him to wait. Would there also be any issues taking out a virgin contract at the property just after one ends? I have read mixed signals about this, even the web chat advisor couldn't tell me for sure.

Righto, so it would be 30 days notice to cancel. Then three months no service at the property before being able to rejoin as a new customer. 

Is there any reason you're looking to do this?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

WOW thats a bit shocking. Yes, Im going to be living at the property instead of my dad and we just want to keep the number active as I was going to take our a VM contract anyway. So what your saying is, NOBODY can take out a contract at the same property for 3 months? Lol. Scorched earth policy.

I am sorry for that toxicwaster

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@toxicwaster wrote:

Hi guys,

Im taking a new VM contract at my dad's property (his current contract will be cancelled and I will be setting up a new one as the bill payer).

Question is how to keep/port his landline number across to my new account. I know you can do this switching to different providers but have struggled to find any information regarding porting the number across to a new VM account.

Cheers, any help appreciated!

You could just "take over" your father's account, which is literally a name change. However, you want a new contract at the same address. So to get the new customer pricing you have to have "left" Virgin's network for at least 3 months. This is a catch to stop people just leaving & rejoining immediately to get the "loss leader" pricing (ie. Virgin makes a loss on them) on its new customer deals.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Well my da will probably want to keep his account but he doesn't need the landline whereas I would prefer to keep it active, it's just convenient to have the same number as it has been a family number for years.  

With regards to opening a new account;

I could understand if it's the same person or a spouse with joint account/same account details. But I AM a new customer 😂.

On further reading around the forum there is no policy in writing regarding this, and plenty of people have done the same thing. 

At the end of the day I could just get sky fibre and bin virgin altogether, it just seemed convenient that all the connections were already there and I have multiple points in the house to set up a router/TiVo box. (As I would want to plug my pc/consoles directly into the superhub.

Whereas I would need to have engineers come out to install openreach equipment for any other fibre provider. Just trying to save myself the hassle.