cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with porting phone number

saracen777
Joining in

I joined Virgin on the Gig1 service on 10 February after some construction work to fit the cable to my property. My original install date was 4 March and I think this is where the problem lies. On the 10 February the engineer said that he couldn't set up my phone line but that my number would be ported in 7-10 days, so I kept my BT line working. After ten days I rang Virgin to check if the porting was happening and was told that it wouldn't happen until 4 March and that on the day I needed to ring BT to ensure that the porting would happen. I rang BT who confirmed that my account showed an authorisation to port. Yesterday (4 March) my BT line went dead but the number hasn't been ported, I rang Virgin and was told that it would happen that day or within 24 hours. I rang today and was told, it should happen within the 24 hours but if it didn't it would take five days (!).  I've checked and the line still isn't ported and now, reading other similar threads, I fear I have lost the number and/or the number won't be ported. The issue I have is that the number is in use, I get calls all the time, more worryingly is my elderly father has that number on speed dial and calls frequently. Can someone help with getting this resolved, I'm getting anxious that the number which I have had for years has been lost.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you saracen777.

I have received your message and will pick this up with you from there 🙂 

Nat

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi saracen777,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for posting. 

I am very sorry to hear or your experience when attempting to port your number. 

Due to the nature of the issue, I feel it would be best to grab a few details via private message and take a look in to the account. I will send you the message now and this will be available via the purple envelope on the top right of this page. 

Speak soon, 

Nat

I've replied with details as requested.

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you saracen777.

I have received your message and will pick this up with you from there 🙂 

Nat

SureshM
Tuning in

I moved back over to Virgin Media and was told I can port my number from Sky. When the sales team said yes it isn’t a problem we agreed and then agreed a date for us to start our virgin media services. 

the sales team did not put the port request in and my sky line has been disconnected. I have been told I will have to loose the number which I had for over 25 years. if this was the case I wouldn’t have moved over to virgin media. I have just been lied to and this has caused me nothing but stress. 

I have never received poor customer service and can’t believe I was lied to.

I will refer this to ofcom unless this mater is resolved asap. 

Hi SureshM, 

Thank you for posting on our community forums. Sorry to see you haven't had an easy journey with us so far. Please allow me to have a look into this for you but I will need to send you a private message. Please watch out for the purple envelop. 

Thank you.

Ari - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

SureshM 

The VM number porting process is horrible, I myself had issues but we thankfully didn't lose our number. No help to you I know, but if you're lucky you may be able to reactivate the line with sky provided VM aren't actively trying to port your old number over and over like they did with us. However you're at the mercy of sky as to whether they'll help or not.

TV, Phone and Broadband using the Hub 3.0 in modem mode, with a Newifi D2 running Openwrt (FTTP/RFoG).

Hi Ari

i haven’t received an email as of yet 

I am so frustrated that this has happened I have had my number for 20 old years and to be told to change it, well that isn’t possible I am 71 years old I rely on my landline for hospital appointments and family across the world. 

when I joined virgin media I was told it would be ported over on the same day and it would be seemless but this has caused nothing but hassle. 

The number originally was a ntl/virgin media number. So I don’t see why it has been so difficult to reinstate 

Hi @SureshM thanks for getting back to us.

I am really sorry that your number porting/return to donor issue is ongoing.  I would love to help you resolve this. I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Thank you to Lee and the team at virgin media. My number has been reinstated, it has taken over a week but main thing is I have my old number back. 

thank you again Lee for all your help 

5* customer service