cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with cable run from street cabinet

jorow
Tuning in

I am due to be setup on Virgin Media next week after a previous unsuccessful attempt do to an issue with the cable run from the cabinet to the access point outside my property.  I was informed that another team would be along to fix the issue which they thought was due to a blockage preventing the cable from being run.   I have notice a couple of freshly dug areas where the cable is run but nothing near my property and each time I phone the Virgin Media support line to enquire if this side of things has been fixed they are not able to confirm or simply seem confused by my question.  Is there a way I can get this confirmed as don't want to wait another few weeks to get my installation completed - this has already been delayed by 7 weeks from initial install date.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @jorow,

Thank you for expanding. As advised, if you have an installation date set then the pre-installation team will do all that they can to ensure any necessary works are done before the set installation date. When this happens exactly will depend on a few factors as I explained earlier.

It'd be best to speak with the pre-installation team directly on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline) if you have any queries before then. If you have any issues following the current confirmed installation date, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

13 REPLIES 13

Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jorow,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that there's been some ongoing delays with the installation of your services. When is your installation date currently set for? What did the team advise exactly when you last discussed this with them?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

My installation date is set for 27/02/2023.  When I spoke to the original team at time of the initial install they told me about the issue running the cable and that they would need to raise a request for permit to fix the issue.  The installation engineer turned up the next again day and when I explained what they had told me he check with his supervisor and confirmed this would be the case.  I then received a 2nd installation date which was then pushed back again which I assumed was to allow the cable run fault to be fixed but nobody could tell me anything.  I have now had this new date assigned but still in the dark as to whether they have been able to complete the cable run as have not see anyone outside of my property so don't want to be in another situation where the installation engineer turns up and can't do anything.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@jorow wrote:

My installation date is set for 27/02/2023.  When I spoke to the original team at time of the initial install they told me about the issue running the cable and that they would need to raise a request for permit to fix the issue.  The installation engineer turned up the next again day and when I explained what they had told me he check with his supervisor and confirmed this would be the case.  I then received a 2nd installation date which was then pushed back again which I assumed was to allow the cable run fault to be fixed but nobody could tell me anything.  I have now had this new date assigned but still in the dark as to whether they have been able to complete the cable run as have not see anyone outside of my property so don't want to be in another situation where the installation engineer turns up and can't do anything.

You need to capture a record of that original technician installation date (screenshot, email, text etc.), when he turned up but could not do anything, as that will be the date any compensation should be applied from.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

Hi @jorow,

Thanks for expanding. From what you've explained it sounds like there's some construction work planned that needs to go ahead before the installation can be complete. When this is the case we aim to complete all installation work before the scheduled install date, but what date that may be before the installation date can vary on different factors, such as when we're granted the necessary permits.

Do you know if any of the pre-install work has to be carried out on your property? If it does, would the technicians have access to the property should you not be around? This is just so they can perform the necessary external works.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

So the cable has been run from my house to the access port just outside my property and the box is fitted to the wall ready for the engineer.  It is the cable run between the access port to the cabinet where they where having issues.  I have seen some recently new areas of laid tar where the cable run is to the cabinet but these appear to be in the opposite direction of where I was told the issue was but then I could be confused around what they where explaining to me. 

I guess all I am looking for is to be able to speak to someone who can confirm that the external cable run issue has been dealt with and resolved successfully so that the installation engineer can complete their task and get my connection up and running on the 27th. 

Hi @jorow,

Thank you for expanding. As advised, if you have an installation date set then the pre-installation team will do all that they can to ensure any necessary works are done before the set installation date. When this happens exactly will depend on a few factors as I explained earlier.

It'd be best to speak with the pre-installation team directly on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline) if you have any queries before then. If you have any issues following the current confirmed installation date, please let us know and we can go from there.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

Thanks for this.  I am hoping that as it was rescheduled on the 2nd attempt then this was to accommodate required works and I have just not been around to notice the completion etc, so fingers crossed that all is good for the 27th but will let you know if any further issues occur.

Hi @jorow,

I completely appreciate and understand your apprehensions, but I assure you that the team will do all that they can to ensure everything is completed in time for the scheduled installation.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

@jorow wrote:

Thanks for this.  I am hoping that as it was rescheduled on the 2nd attempt then this was to accommodate required works and I have just not been around to notice the completion etc, so fingers crossed that all is good for the 27th but will let you know if any further issues occur.

Juror, the impotent thing here, and something that has been ignored by the VM forum team member(s) who have responded, for reasons that I can't guess, is this; what was your first, original, go-live date, not any rescheduled date?

Because you are entitled to compensation of £5.25 for each day past that date, up until you finally get connected up. Like I said, can't think why the forum team members didn't mention this!