cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an alternative to the TrueCall device

S400
Joining in

Trading Standard provided a TrueCall device to my very elderly father.  But it was of no use at all until CallerID could be activated.   (This just wasn't working for an "unknown" reason on his copper-wire phone)

Virgin Media eventually managed to get CallerID working by switching his line to the new fibre/internet connection.  As far as phone services go, everything is working fine.

BUT - now the TrueCall device won't work properly.   I tried switching it to Trusted Caller mode, and found the my mobile (and a friend's mobile) just could not get through.  We hear an endless ringing tone, while the landline called just doesn't ring at all.   Other callers are recognised yet receive the challange message even though they are trusted callers.  YES ... we have verified the CallerID recorded in TrueCall exactly matches the value displayed on the phone and exactly matches the value in the Trusted Caller list.

So then tried switching TrueCall back to basic call blocking mode, but again my mobile cannot get through, so I can't even press the key to be put through.

I have tried calling TrueCall:   they have two nos. on their website:  an 0800 which is never answered, and an 0208  number which is invalid and cannot be called.

So I need to kick this TrueCall device into touch.  Does anyone know of an alternative device with similar / equivalen functions ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you are talking about the standalone trueCall device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

there have been quite a few topics on here about matching the device to VM phone lines when customers have switched to a phone-via-hub connection.

In all those cases, the customer has got in touch with trueCall and they have remotely accessed the device on the phone line and have tweaked the settings of the trueCall unit to match the VM line. Sometimes the firmware required updating.

Alongside the phone numbers you have mentioned

https://www.truecall.co.uk/articles.asp-ID=83.html

there is an email address and a contact form you could try.

Some people have also used the online web portal (free for the first year with trueCall and £20-ish per year after that) to log a support ticket through the portal.

The trueCall device is by far the best, and most configurable, call screening device IMHO so worth persisting in trying to contact trueCall. AIUI, other blocking devices are based simply on blocking lists/numbers rather than screening calls and are much less sophisticated than the trueCall device.

If you can make contact with trueCall they should be able to solve the problem would be my guess.

(Edit: Can see I replied to an earlier topic on this ref the missing caller ID, having already posted the above)

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

goslow
Alessandro Volta

If you are talking about the standalone trueCall device

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/116.htm

there have been quite a few topics on here about matching the device to VM phone lines when customers have switched to a phone-via-hub connection.

In all those cases, the customer has got in touch with trueCall and they have remotely accessed the device on the phone line and have tweaked the settings of the trueCall unit to match the VM line. Sometimes the firmware required updating.

Alongside the phone numbers you have mentioned

https://www.truecall.co.uk/articles.asp-ID=83.html

there is an email address and a contact form you could try.

Some people have also used the online web portal (free for the first year with trueCall and £20-ish per year after that) to log a support ticket through the portal.

The trueCall device is by far the best, and most configurable, call screening device IMHO so worth persisting in trying to contact trueCall. AIUI, other blocking devices are based simply on blocking lists/numbers rather than screening calls and are much less sophisticated than the trueCall device.

If you can make contact with trueCall they should be able to solve the problem would be my guess.

(Edit: Can see I replied to an earlier topic on this ref the missing caller ID, having already posted the above)

Client62
Legend

Plenty of analogue telephones exist that have a in built call screening function.
Buy and try from Amazon so easy return is possible.

Such a pity VM did not expose a call blocking menu for customers.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The phones which replicate trueCall are only on the BT ranges AFAIK.

There have been plenty of problems with BT phones on here and the on-board trueCall can not be reconfigured/updated. BT just uses the trueCall name under licence. The functionality is a 'lite' version of the standalone device.