Menu
steveleggett
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is it not a bit embarrassing for Virgin?

Is it not a bit embarrassing for Virgin that the other major companies offer very effective call blocking services and yet Virgin has nothing of the sort?

I moved my broadband and landline across to Virgin in August. I'm very happy with the broadband move. My landline now just rings constantly with scam calls from recorded Amazon Prime renewals to calls from what sounds like an Indian call centre lying to me about my router performance.

I rang Virgin to see what could be done and changed my number. Today I have received several nuisance calls on the new number.

Despite being mid contract, I am considering terminating my landline service. I'm effectively paying a monthly fee to receive annoying calls. I'm at the point of unplugging the phone from the wall. Paying a severance fee would be blessed release to rid me of this pain.

I understand that Virgin is not at fault for me receiving these calls. What I don't understand is why Virgin is so far behind other companies in providing a blocker to deal with it? At the moment, all Virgin can offer is for me to pay for a service which blocks withheld numbers, which is entirely useless as the calls are coming in on spoofed landline numbers. My Sky call blocking was great and my parents' BT equivalent is also good.

So why is Virgin so far behind and so uninterested in providing a solution?

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it not a bit embarrassing for Virgin?

Hi steveleggett,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear you're having some issues with nuisance calls.

We do offer anonymous Caller Reject and the Caller Display feature. 

Have you registered with the TPS service? 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
steveleggett
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Yes, I'm registered with TPS but, given these people are aiming to trick me into providing access to my computer to commit crime, I doubt the threat of TPS action bothers them too much? As I explained, anonymous call blocking is pointless as these calls aren't anonymous.

What I'm most intrigued about is how quickly they were on to my number change! I had a virgin landline about 7 years ago. When I did, I had constant calls from British Gas for a Mr Mansouri. Weirdly, since I went back to Virgin, I've started receiving these calls again too.

Virgin. Great broadband. Dreadful for landline.

0 Kudos
goslow
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The scam calls are produced by automated dialling software which simply calls numbers on a particular area code, working its way through the blocks of numbers. Hence, your 'new' number was called as soon as it had been put into use. Your 'new' number will actually have been recycled from a pool of existing numbers allocated to VM.

The only way to deal with the scam calls is to screen them (rather than try to block them)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Landline-handset-to-block-unwanted-calls/m-p/4573945...

and unfortunately, with a VM landline, this involves investing in more kit.

0 Kudos
steveleggett
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Which is kind of my point! Virgin’s options to tackle this problem just don’t work!

Either I spend money on extra kit or I pay to block anonymous calls, which doesn’t solve the issue.

I just wish I’d kept the landline with Sky.

0 Kudos