Menu
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 1 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Is it legal for Sky Tv to take my phone number from Virgin media without my permission

On the 7th November- Sky TV took my phone off Virgin media  - without my permission  - I was never informed by either Sky or my my supplier Virgin media  - resulting in NO phone until 25th December 2018 - we have been given a Emergency number and had to inform all our family and friends of the situation  - due to the removal of our phone number from Virgin media  - we are now out of bundle and have to pay separately for Broadband and Television  - a increase on our monthly payments  - all phone calls to Virgin media since the 11th of December have fallen on stone ground 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it legal for Sky Tv to take my phone number from Virgin media without my permission

Hello marygemmajim, 

Welcome to the forums and for your first post - I was sorry to understand that you are having an issue with your number port. 

The only way SKY would be able to take your number from us if you had requested a number port with SKY and gave them the number for them to request. 

Have you spoken with your new provided about this at all? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Re: Is it legal for Sky Tv to take my phone number from Virgin media without my permission

You need to clarify.

Did you WANT to move your landline to SKY and that is what has happened (you are now with SKY for your landline)

OR

They simply hijacked your number resulting in automatic cancellation of VM's landline? (you are still with VM for landline but have an emergency number)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 32
Flag for a moderator

When switching, you probably filled in the form that says current home phone number you wish to transfer. You should have left this blank, so you’ve actually given Sky permission to port your Virgin phone number to them.

There is no other way Sky would be able to port across a Virgin phone number otherwise.

I know this because I’ve changed providers several times over the years.

marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 5 of 32
Flag for a moderator

A million thanks for your kind replies  - sorry but NO - I did not ask Sky to take my phone number from Virgin media  - or gave permission to Virgin media to port my number to Sky  - there was no UAN given to Sky - nor was one asked for from Virgin media  - it has taken from the 7th November when Sky took my phone number from Virgin media to the 11th December to get the UAN from Sky and give it to Virgin media  - I then had to take out a new bundle with Virgin media to include the phone  - that was the 11th  - a week went past  - and still NO phone  - Virgin media then - when I contacted them and apologised for not doing something  - it would appear that they forgot  - I was told on phone by a lady supervisor that it would be sorted  - hence my phone call on the 24th December  - it was only then  - that I got the emergency number  - today the 2nd of January 2019 still only the Emergency number  - so to round up - I have been without my own phone number since the 7th of November 2018 to today the 2nd of January 2019  - been out of my bundle  - equals  - out of pocket 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi there marygemmajim, 

Cheers so much for your quick reply there - not quite sure what would have happened here as the only way another provider can request the number from us is if you gave the number to them to port it.  Not sure what you mean by UAN?

Usually if a number is ported in error, we can request to get this back under an emergency restoration order which is usually done within a couple of days. 

I have popped you a private message so we can get some account information from you and I can take a look to see what has happened. 

Just look out for the purple envelope and pop me a reply when you can. 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 32
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

A UAN (Universal Access Number) is only required to transfer a Broadband service between providers using the same telephone line. As such this does not apply to Virgin Media as they use a totally seperate network to provide their Broadband & Phones.

Also it would only require a request to the new provider to transfer a number under the current OFCOM rules. Contacting both parties is only required when transferring UK Mobile numbers.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports/Cinema (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, 350M BB, Virgin PAYG Mobile
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for that nodrogd - I have learnt something new after working here for 16 years! 

Katie - Forum Team

0 Kudos
marygemmajim
Joining in
Message 9 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Hi again  - but sorry if you think that you don't need the UAN to port your phone from one supplier to another  - this is a prerequisite for all Telecoms companies  - as can be seen on the Virgin media website  - again I must say that neither Sky or Virgin media had my permission or UAN number to take my phone number from me  - in regards a post that says Virgin media doesn't use a landline  - that is completely correct  - but it still needs the UAN  - even do there cabling is not of old standard landline  - and all three items  - Television  - Broadband  - and telephone come thru a near as much fiber optic line - were as sky use a old style copper line sub let from EIR  for Telephone and Broadband  - and television is supplied by Satellite  - by the looks of other forums  - this is not the first time that Sky has done this  - they did it in England with BT 

0 Kudos
nick_london
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 32
Flag for a moderator

Maybe you should contact Ofcom and see what they say about it. I recommend you call Ofcom on 020 7981 3000.

They will best advise you on what to do and go through the policy with you.

0 Kudos