cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is any of this a VOIP Battery Backup?

Rixhill
Joining in

phonewires.jpg

Are any of the cables or things in this picture a VOIP Battery Backup? I am being charged for not returning one at the end of my Broadband contract, but everything here is all that is left at the old property. I no longer live there, so I have had this sent to me by the lettings agency. From what a Virgin media helpline fellow told me, a VOIP is part of a landline installation, but my contract was for broadband. At one point I had a landline set up (that included a VirginTV box) but that was removed around a year before I ended my tenancy and contract and I was told no items were missing from that return. 

I have been trying to get in contact with Virgin for a while now, only for the only time I get put in touch with a person i got cut off. Repeated attempts to call back have ended in the line hanging up, walking in circles with a bot online, or someone who recited policy to me.

11 REPLIES 11

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Can't see your photo until approved but the emergency backup line will probably be the grey unit shown on page 37 in the phone guide here

https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Phone%20User%20Guide.pdf

(VOIP is a term used to describe a particular type of telephone technology rather than a device/hardware item.)

(Edit: Photos now showing and are, indeed, just wall sockets)

Right, thanks! The photo is mostly wires and boxes fixed to the wall like the phone plug points, nothing that looks like the item in that manual.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Rixhill wrote:
Right, thanks! The photo is mostly wires and boxes fixed to the wall like the phone plug points, nothing that looks like the item in that manual.

The EBUL unit is generally offered to customers with accessibility needs or customers who don't have access to a mobile phone. It allows the customer to make 999 calls during a power cut or if the VM phone line is down for any other reason.

Do you recall being offered one when VM set up your equipment?

On some past topics, the customer was offered one at installation and declined (or later had one taken away) and the device was removed by the VM tech but still left on the customer's account as part of VM's equipment allocation.

I don't recall having one installed or handed over as I didn't even have an actual phone handset installed either. Literally only took the package as it was cheaper than what I was paying and it had a landline included, but I literally had no landline phone. Never really used the media hub either for the time it was there to the time I set it all back. 😕

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Rixhill wrote:

I don't recall having one installed or handed over as I didn't even have an actual phone handset installed either. Literally only took the package as it was cheaper than what I was paying and it had a landline included, but I literally had no landline phone. Never really used the media hub either for the time it was there to the time I set it all back. 😕

In that case, you'll need the VM forum team to help you and advise. They should reply here within a day or two usually.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Rixhill

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear that you've been charged for unreturned equipment you don't recall ever having. I can investigate this further with you. Please join me on private message so we can go through security question and locate your account. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley, 

I also received email and said I havent returned VOIP Battery. May I confirm VOIP Battery,  is it the grey unit in the pics please ? If so, I returned it already, why still charging me the equipment fees ? Thank you so much for your help. 

Natalie 

20220525_073309.jpg

Hi Nataliebb001,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

From what I can see from the photo that does look like the backup unit. 

When did you return the equipment? 

^Martin

Hi Martin,

Thank you for getting back to me. I returned on 29th April. I packed everything in the box which was Virgin sent to me before and engineer came to collect the box. When I put every equipment in the box, I took a pics as well. I can send to you if you need it please. Thank you for your help.

Natalie