cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is an Engineer Visit Free

GeoffTownley
On our wavelength

I've just received the Fibre Phone Adaptor, my router is downstairs and my (former) BT Master socket is on the third floor, I cannot find the phone line connection to the Virgin cable, so I need an engineer to investigate and advise on what needs to be done.

Is this chargeable and how do I arrange for a visit.

10 REPLIES 10

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @GeoffTownley,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.
You would need to plug the handset into the router not the wall socket, is that what you are trying to do or I have I misunderstood?

If you want an extension installed, so that you can have another handset upstairs, this would be a chargeable visit and would cost £25.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven

Yes you have misunderstood, I'll try again.

My router is on the ground floor, my openreach master socket is on the top floor i.e. 2nd floor. One phone is on the ground floor connected to an extension from the top floor. I cannot see where the virgin cable connects to my house telephone system.

Thanks for coming back to us @GeoffTownley

I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but would need to confirm a few details over via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for confirming your details via private message @GeoffTownley.
I have arranged for the appointment and you can track your engineer appointments online. Simply sign in to My Virgin Media and you’ll see your appointments on your account dashboard.
Regards,

Steven_L

Steven
I have received a txt saying that an engineer is going to call on Thursday 5th May, I won't be home and when I try to reply to the txt saying that I won't be home, I get a reply saying "you didn't understand my reply" at this stage I don't want an engineer to call, but it would be helpful to speak to someone technical so that I can see if I can sort this out myself. I'm also thinking of going back to BT as I don't think that this government mandated roll out will happen by 2025.

Thanks for coming back to us @GeoffTownley, you did ask for a visit to be arranged. I can cancel the appointment for you from here.

Regarding the location of your telephone socket, do you have a brown omni-box on the outside of your house?

If so, can you follow the cables that come into your home?

Also I have looked into this and your area looks like the home phone change over will be happening in June this year.

Regards,

Steven_L

Steven

With all due respect I didn't ask for an engineer to call, so yes please cancel the visit.

When I get back from my trip I'll look for the box and follow the yellow brick road.

If I delete the phone line and just have the broadband would I get a discount on my monthly fee?

Thanks for coming back to me @GeoffTownley, I have now cancelled your appointment for Thursday.

If you remove the phone line it could increase your package price as it may have been sold as a bundle and if one of the products is removed the price may increase.

To have that looked into further, you would need to speak to the team over the phone as we cannot do any package changes over the forums.

Regards,

Steven_L

I've just had a message asking if anyone in the house has Covid, I've tried to so no, as there will not be anyine there! Can you confirm that the engineering department know what theyre doing, as I will be VERY annoyed if they arrive, can't get in and then send me a bill for £25.