Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Internal phone extension sockets not working

Hi,

I’ve recently moved to VM from BT. Since setting up my hub 3.0 none of the phone sockets on my internal phone circuit are working only the phone plugged directly into the VM router. As the router sits in a cupboard this is not at all convenient as I need several phones plus an answer machine for my work and keeping an answer machine in a cupboard defeats the purpose. 

So how can I get my home phone circuit working again? If I can’t get this resolved I’ll be cancelling my contract within the 14 day cooling off period as a result. 

Thanks for any advice or tips in advance 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Internal phone extension sockets not working

There was a discussion about this recently here with a suggested solution

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/QuickStart-set-up-and/Anyway-to-use-existing-extensions-in-hous...

Bit of a grey area as to whether this should be done at time of installation from reading posts on the forums with mixed outcomes for customers. I have read some posts mentioning a 'kit' for VM tech's to fit to enable old extensions to work on 21CV via the Hub 3. Have also read some posts about people requesting it and being told it is not possible yet other people asking for it and having it done at installation.

Seeing as you have only just had the service installed, I would have thought VM should be able to return to sort it out for you.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link to the other discussion. 

I tried the idea suggested and I had partial success. I can make a phone on the house extension ring and can dial out from the same phone. The only issue I have is that the call is always flagged as engaged. I think this is because my BT line is still active so I effectively have two signals going to the same extension. If I were to relocate my extension wiring from the BT master socket I think it will work. For now I’ll wait until the BT line is deactivated and see if that fixes the issue without the need to retire anything. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The poster in the other link, who described and photographed his extension arrangement, made clear his original phone line had been deactivated/disconnected from his own home extension wiring before linking the old extension wiring to VM. Your experiment of indirectly linking two working lines from two different suppliers via your home extension wiring does not seem like a very wise thing to do. You may well end up causing problems on both your old and new phone lines.

0 Kudos