cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent fault - no dial tone

PhilSmith
Joining in

We have an annoying fault on our landline where there is sometimes no dial tone so we can’t make outgoing calls and if someone is calling at that time, they get the ringing tone but no answerphone. After a previous problem, the visiting engineer simply changed the landline to now be connected through the hub (so no phone when the internet goes down! 👎). Wondering whether to go back to BT!

7 REPLIES 7

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @PhilSmith,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

I am sorry for the issues with your landline.

Has this happened since the engineer connected it to the Hub? Or did the issues with no dial tone happen before this?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

The previous problem that caused an engineer to come out (when he connected the landline to the hub) was the handsets showing “Check Phone Line” and not able to dial out or receive calls.

This time round it’s a similar problem except the handsets don’t display any messages. Last time we had BT handsets and we now have Panasonic handsets.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for clearing this up, can you tell me what happens if you try using the old handset?

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

No as we don’t have the old handsets anymore.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for telling me @PhilSmith.

Can you please confirm that you are able to use your landline? & That you are just unable to see voicemail messages?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

How can the landline be used when there is no dial tone? Admittedly it is an intermittent fault, but when there is no dial tone, outgoing calls can’t be made and we can’t receive incoming calls.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Okay, thanks @PhilSmith.

I will send you a private message now, please look out for a purple envelope at the top right of the page.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team