cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls - phone not ringing

AndyG9
Joining in

Hi

I've booked an engineer for next week but thought I'd ask here in case anyone could help.

I had a landline installed last week. This was actually a reactivation of an existing line in my flat. Not sure when the Virgin line was last used, but it's an old NTL socket. For the past three years I've been using a BT line.

I had a cordless phone which always worked without a problem on the BT line.

When the engineer connected the Virgin line, he tried calling my phone and the ring was odd. It sounded like there wasn't enough power, the rings weren't fully ringing and there were silent gaps. The engineer said he thought it was my phone as he said the line was fine.

So I went and bought another phone, and it's not ringing at all. When I do 1471 there is a record of the call, but in the handset call log there is not.

Going back to my old phone, it does ring but it's still a "weak" ring.

I took the new phone next door and it worked ok on the neighbour's BT line.

Outgoing calls are not a problem.

I've done a line test online and it came back fine.

Any suggestions I can try while waiting for the engineer would be appreciated.

Annoying that I bought a new phone when it looks like the problem is actually with the line...

81 REPLIES 81

Engineeer knew at once the problem and went to cabinet to fix something all now working

It's good to know that it's not just me who have / are having this issue. My VM line working fine one day, handset not ringing or calls going to answer phone the next. Thought it must be the handset so bought a new one, still the same issue. Reported to VM yesterday. Initially scheduled an engineer visit but then received a text indicating they were investigating a network problem affecting my services. Still no joy are the issue was apparently fixed. Now awaiting further information.

Hi triturus,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you've been having with your landline service. 

To confirm, have you been able to check your online account to see if the engineer visit is still active or if it has been cancelled?

^Martin

Hi Martin

There's nothing to suggest that I have a service visit pending. Would this information be in the My Orders and Appointments section?

This should show on the dashboard. If it isn't showing I will be happy to check this over for you. 

I will private message you to confirm some details. 

^Martin

Text confirmation recd to say the engineer is still scheduled for tomorrow. I'll post the outcome

Thank you for keeping me posted. Please do let me know how the visit goes. 

^Martin

Well back up and working. Engineer was due between 8 and 12, at 9:30 had a text saying network issue was resolved; and indeed it was. A little surprised that no one came to the house as planned to explain what had been done and to check that everything was working. Perhaps VM are now fully aware of this issue and how it is rectified without having to have an on-site visit, but a courtesy call would not have gone amiss. 

Thanks for the update triturus,

Glad to hear you're all back up and running again. Apologies that you were not called to let you know an engineer would not be attending. If a network fault was detected, we would automatically cancel any engineers appointments.

We do appreciate your feedback regarding this matter, and we will feed this back. 

If you have any further issues, please come back to us through this channel.

Kind regards Jodi. 

I'm having the same problem, landline was transferred today but phone does not ring for incoming calls. Please help