cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incoming calls - phone not ringing

AndyG9
Joining in

Hi

I've booked an engineer for next week but thought I'd ask here in case anyone could help.

I had a landline installed last week. This was actually a reactivation of an existing line in my flat. Not sure when the Virgin line was last used, but it's an old NTL socket. For the past three years I've been using a BT line.

I had a cordless phone which always worked without a problem on the BT line.

When the engineer connected the Virgin line, he tried calling my phone and the ring was odd. It sounded like there wasn't enough power, the rings weren't fully ringing and there were silent gaps. The engineer said he thought it was my phone as he said the line was fine.

So I went and bought another phone, and it's not ringing at all. When I do 1471 there is a record of the call, but in the handset call log there is not.

Going back to my old phone, it does ring but it's still a "weak" ring.

I took the new phone next door and it worked ok on the neighbour's BT line.

Outgoing calls are not a problem.

I've done a line test online and it came back fine.

Any suggestions I can try while waiting for the engineer would be appreciated.

Annoying that I bought a new phone when it looks like the problem is actually with the line...

81 REPLIES 81

Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AndyG9,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting on the Forum. I'm sorry to hear that you are having incoming call problems on your Virgin Media landline.

I've been able to access your account via your Forum details and I've had a look at this for you. Testing on the line doesn't show a problem, but as you have already tested with 2 different handsets, in which neither worked properly--but did work fine on your neighbour's line, this does indicate a problem on the line that an engineer will need to fix. 

From what you have stated in your post, you have tried everything that we would recommend when investigating a fault. As the problem isn't with your equipment, the next step would be to schedule an engineer for you, which has already been done.

Please let us know how you get on with this.

Kind regards.

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I have heard other people say they have problems with cordless phones on Virgin Media. So I bought a cheap corded phone for about £5 from ASDA, and it works fine.

Is there a problem with cordless phones? Or am I just unlucky?

Craig_D
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AndyG9

Thanks for taking the time to let us know about this, I'm glad to hear you've been able to solve the problem. 

As for the cordless phone, you should still get a dialling tone, unless the handset is faulty. If you've got time, take the cordless handset to a family, friend or neighbours house and test it. If it's still not working, search for the receipt!

If you need any assistance moving forward, you know where to find usMan Happy

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Craig

Both cordless phones (the old one and the new one I bought) work fine on a neighbour's BT line. They are different makes.

I can get a dial tone on my VM line, the problem is they don't ring when I get an incoming call, but if I pick the handset up the call does connect.

The corded phone rings if there is an incoming call.

Unfortunately I had to cancel the appointment as I have a sick relative. 

I just wondered if anyone else has had this problem, I have googled and found quite a few people had problems with cordless phones on Virgin, but none of the threads I found ever posted a conclusion.

Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AndyG9,

Thank you for getting back to us. I'm sorry that this issue with your cordless phones not ringing on incoming calls is still ongoing.

I need to take more information from you so I can look into this issue further for you. Please let me know:

• What is the brand and make of the phones you are using?
  • What is the REN value on both of the phones (you can find this on the bottom of your base units)?
  • Do you have any other equipment or extension cables plugged into your main phone socket or extension sockets? (If you do, please disconnect everything from the sockets and only have one base unit plugged directly into the main phone socket and retry).

What this sounds like is that the REN is too high, as what you are describing is symptomatic of this. It could, also, possibly be that the voltage is too low, which would require an engineer appointment to get this fixed. 

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Many thanks.

Terri_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi AndyG9,

I'm checking back with you as I haven't had a response from you yet.

Please get back in touch if you would like for us to look into the issue with your landline further.

Kind Regards.

Hi we are also having the exact same problems. Wire phones work,on our line but two cordless phones dont. We have tried ALL the phone at our neighbours house on their Virgin line and they all work there!

The phone line worked fine for months since it’s been installed.

Our problem first started with our phone line going dead (right after the virgin engineer messed about with the phone box down the street)
For weeks we didn’t get any calls

The engineer came repaired the line, tested it with his line phone tester, then went. = We could make calls but for weeks after we never received them. If someone phoned in, we would get a weak one ring then nothing. (we found out later all calls went to virgin voice mail, that we didn’t know we had)

We purchased a new cordless phone and tried that, but again that didn’t work!

A new engineer came today and tested the line with his line tester phone and it worked for him, he changed the connection box in the house, but still none of our cordless phones worked

The engineers do not know what the problem is and said there is nothing else he can do.

The new phone light flashes when someone calls in, but there is no ring tone at all. We can answer the phone if we see the light flash but with no ring tone its useless.

The phones REN is 1

Exact same issue, phone not ringing, but if I pick up, I'm connected.

SOLUTION!

Well we talked to the india phone support and they didnt know what the problem is.
We spoke to 2 tech guys that came around and they said "We might have a faulty phone" but that was wrong, we purchased another and it turned out both worked fine.
We even spoke to the Uk HEAD of tech support and he was clueless, saying the problem was our end with us.
but he will send another tech around anyway.

It turns out that the phone box at the end of our street that connected to the main junction box was not getting enough signal/power/charge what ever.
A line needed changing and after that both phones worked fine.

It was virgin all along, so dont let them tell you other wise. Print this off to show the tech guys that will come around to yours.

Cheers