cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important: Your phone service is changing

stut4
Dialled in

I've received notification that my landline will soon be switched off and replaced by a new VOIP system.

My monitored home alarm system provider has said that its not possible for the alarm system to work over this method. It was the only reason i took the Landline in the package as we do not need it for anything else.

Please can i retain the traditional landline system, or i might have to seek an alternative provider.

Thank you.

19 REPLIES 19

Hi stut4, 

It would be best to contact the alarm supplier to look into this from there side.

Gareth_L

stut4
Dialled in

What happens if i cancel my broadband service and go for a 4g or satelite provider service? Assume if no broadband line, the copper line would need to stay in place? 

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stut4

Thanks for your response and good morning

We'll be closing down our copper line eventually so the only way to have a telephone line through ourselves will be via the Hub in 21CV.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Maybe there is a reason why your monitored alarm wont work but for what it is worth; my alarm is NOT monitored but it does works fine. I did connect the router to my master phone socket myself (contacting VM is always such a waste of time in my experience) so all my existing extensions work. I can receive and make handsfree calls from my alarm control box and it calls me if the alarm is triggered and I can control it from the remote phone, listen in, turn it on and off etc. Works exactly the same as before, not sure why it wouldn't. Again though, maybe there is something about your monitored system other than needing to wire-up extensions. The only problem I have is the internet going down on a weekly basis so obviously nothing works, can't call faults, 999 etc, whereas in the past, 9 times out of 10 times when tv/internet failed the landline would still work. Also the people I have spoken to at VM have not been willing or capable of enabling voicemail (despite it being an advertised feature) for when it is down and vulnerable relatives need to contact me.

stut4
Dialled in

@Virgin, what backup supply options are you providing consumers in the event of power cuts so emergency calls can still be made? 

thank you. 

We do have an Emergency Backup Line as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs. 

If you need to get on installed, please get in contact with our team on 0345 454 1111 who can arrange this for you.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

@Akua_A   That link doesn't work. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

i wouldn't waste your time. sounds like the device is just a box which connects to the mobile network and only calls 999. doesn't appear to phone lifeline services or other personal emergency contacts. plus if you're in a mobile deadspot, expect it wouldn't work either. 

there is a whole thread here. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/Converted-to-digital-line-emergency-backup-kit-faile...

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Yes. I'm not personally interested, but Akua should be aware that's a broken link. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Thank you for flagging this @jpeg1

Please try this alternative link https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs and let me know if the issue persists?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team