cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Important: Your phone service is changing

stut4
Dialled in

I've received notification that my landline will soon be switched off and replaced by a new VOIP system.

My monitored home alarm system provider has said that its not possible for the alarm system to work over this method. It was the only reason i took the Landline in the package as we do not need it for anything else.

Please can i retain the traditional landline system, or i might have to seek an alternative provider.

Thank you.

19 REPLIES 19

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there stut4,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

Can I ask have you been given a date as of yet for the transfer?

Thanks,

Kain

Hi, thanks for quick reply.

"On 22 August your current home phone service will stop working and be switched over to our fibre network. We will send you an adapter in the post which you’ll need to use to connect your home phone to your WiFi Hub so you can make and receive phone calls over our fibre network."

Alarm provider said existing system is hardwired into traditional phone line and not possible to adapt without signficant hardware changes.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

All phone providers are switching over to this new system under a government directive..  You will not find another provider willing to provide a new copper wired phone service.

Alarm suppliers have all been aware of this change for a long time, and should have been making plans for the changeover.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response there.

Unfortunately our phone line will be transferring over to this proposed fibre line as will other providers.

Apologies,

Kain

Do your technicans have the ability to run a live phoneline from the Router to the original main copper wire house termination? They originally wired the alarm into the Virgin copper wires.

I also only use the Superhub (the white one) as modem only mode - will this voip system connection need to be connected to my own router or the superhub if in modem mode?

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

To clarify, do you have a Hub 3 or above?

Also our team if necessary will be able to install the system to co-locate with the modem.

Also the service should still work within modem mode. 

Thanks,

Kain

Its a White square superhub 3 i believe. Approx 10 years old.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the response, 

Does the Hub have a slot labelled "TEL1" on the back near the ethernet ports? 

Cheers,

Kain

yes, looks like 2 x RJ11 ports.