cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get my Hub router activated for calls

DanielH57
Joining in

I only want to use my home phone to receive calls or to use in an emergancy. So Is there a charge to activate my Hub for calls?

And as calls are over the internet and no backup if the web gos down I ho[pe there isn't a line rental like there is on the old cooper cable ones. I am 69 and need a phone. 

26 REPLIES 26

DanielH57
Joining in

I am a new customer, I connected my landline phone to  the Hub 3 router, but I have found that the phone line is disabled, I just want to use the line to receive calls. Do I have to pay extra just to receive calls, if so then I think that is rediculas. 

Hi @DanielH57,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm sorry to hear you're having some problems receiving landline calls. Do you have landline services included in your package of services with us?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Are you a landline customer or just Broadband?

Unlike other providers that use the BT network & use phone line distribution for Broadband, & hence have a landline as part of the package, Virgin uses coaxial cables. Hence the phone service is separate & optional. If you only have Broadband on your account you are not paying for landline services & cannot use them.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

DanielH57
Joining in

It may not require wif-fi to work but it requires Internet to work, if that goes down you have no phone service. And as it is using Fiber optics for the calls why is a landline rental required. I cant make calls when I pluged in my phone to my Router. Do I need a phone adaptor? I have various phone adaptors from Sky, I tried them but they dont work on my Virgin Hub. Does the phone service have to be activated first at a cost I assume? Why Can't I just plug my phone in with an adaptor to make chargable calls and receives calls without paying for a landline. Because I am not using a landline. Only fiber cable.

How do I get my phone to work with my Virgin Hub. I dont have a Virgin phone adaptor, do I need one? I have various phone adaptors from Sky, I tried them but they dont work on my Virgin Hub. Does the phone service have to be activated first at a cost I assume? Why Can't I just plug my phone in with an adaptor to make chargable calls and receives calls without paying for a landline. Because I am not using a landline. Only fiber cable.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Is a VM landline/number included as part of your monthly package with VM?

If you do pay for/use a VM landline/number (and you use it via a telephone socket on the wall) then you will continue to use the service that way until VM switches you over to a connection from the back of the VM hub? VM is doing this as part of a planned programme of work and you will be notified of this and be sent an adapter in advance of that happening.

In the present arrangement, the connection on the back of the hub behaves in the same way as a conventional telephone wall socket and ends up being routed to the same telephone exchange equipment with VM. You continue to pay 'line rental' (even when connected to the VM hub) for use of a VM phone number and maintenance of the phone service/equipment. At the moment it is just the method of connecting in the home that has changed from the customer's POV.

If you don't pay VM at the moment for use of a VM landline/VM number then you won't be able to make landline phone calls via the hub, or VM telephone wall socket, until you have the VM landline service added to your VM package.

How much would it cost me to add a landline service to my package. Most of the time I just need it to receive calls. So I dont want to pay much. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You would have to contact VM and get a new package price for your services. The VM forum staff on here don't do package changes.

You haven't said anywhere above what your current services are. Are you using just VM broadband only at the moment?

You'd have done better to have taken the phone when you first signed up in May as VM's pricing discounts bundles of services for new customers. As you are now an existing customer you are unlikely to get a similar pricing offer adding the landline later on.

Changing your package will put you onto a new 18 month contract so weigh up all the costs carefully across the life of the contract before deciding whether to add the landline or not. Also factor in the baked-in price rise that VM will apply in April next year.

Do you use a mobile phone? For occasional phone use, a cheap monthly SIM package with unlimited calls and texts via a cheap mobile phone might offer better value for money than adding a VM landline to your package.

Hi DanielH57, thanks for the message and welcome back to the forums. 

As Goslow has mentioned you would need to do a package change and this can be done on 0345 454 1111, we would aim to give you the best possible deal and in some cases it is cheaper to have a landline included. 

You would need to pay for the line for either incoming or outgoing calls. 

You are paying for the rental of the line. 

Please let us know how it goes. 

Chris.