cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have been asked to switch to a fibre phone line but i have no mobile phone reception

jpdebono
Joining in

I have been sent an email saying I will be switched to a Firbe phone line but my mobile phone reception is very poor. What will virgin do to ensure I continue to have a safe phone line

8 REPLIES 8

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jpdebono, thanks for your post here in the community.

The landline service from your side will work perfectly the same, apart from it will be connected to your Virgin Media Hub and use an internet based connection, rather than your standard phone line at the moment.

We have a full page of FAQ's and helpful information for the switchover process, as you're not alone in raising questions about this.

Please take a look at this link here and I'm sure this will put you at ease and answer any questions you may have.

If you've got any further questions after this, please don't be shy in posting any back on this thread and we'll happily help!

Many thanks

Tom_W

But what if there is a power cut - I would have no way of calling for help

Thanks for coming back to us @jpdebono, we do have a battery powered emergency back up line that can be installed, this enables you to contact the emergency services using the phone that is connected to the device.

More information about this device can be found on pages 34 through to 36 on the link here.

This will be installed by a technician and during their visit to install an emergency back up line the technician should also provide you customer with a corded phone if you don't already have one. The technician should be ensuring that the EBUL is fully operational before leaving as it's their responsibility to make sure everything is plugged in and working correctly. 

Regards,

Steven_L

On your information pages you say this only works if there is a good mobile signal

Thanks for coming back to us @jpdebono, that is correct that the line would need a mobile signal to power the emergency back up line as this needs a sim to call out.

Unfortunately this is the only option that we can provide at the moment to our customers to provide service during a power cut. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Howevr in your email and in you ronline information you say you would not push firbe phone in areas where there is a poor mobile singal so why am I being asked to change

Thanks for coming back to us @jpdebono, this is a government requirement that all telephone services are transferred to fibre phone lines before 2025.

The current network will be decommissioned, so all customers would need to be transferred over to fibre phone lines from the copper network. 

Regards,

Steven_L 

That's not exactly correct as the connection from the cabinet into the house will still be "copper" - with Virgin Cable it is copper co-axial, but Openreach cable (also used by Virgin Media) is a steel wire wire with a very thin copper coating, basically 19th century technology.