cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I dont want a phone in the same room as the router

1malcolmgeorge
Dialled in

My router is in my Lounge with my TV which is not VM TV. My telephone main base unit, with answerphone, is in the studio, with other wireless units in the kitchen and on the first floor.

My Broadband and telephone are split at the outside VM box. Broadband goes one way and telephone another.

The telephone cable goes though an external wall and is wired to a VM phone point to which my base unit is plugged into. This was fitted and paid for when I joined VM.

The router and telephone point are about 35ft apart through the lounge. Hallway, Shower room and entrance porch.

I DO NOT WANT A PHONE IN MY LOUNGE and I am certainly not rewiring through all those areas of my home, so what are my options???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ask for a tech visit at the switchover of your phone line & a technician will wire your hub to your current master socket.

There will be a lot of people in your situation, but suffice to say ALL landline providers are either currently or will soon be migrating to some form of VoIP hub based lines. The old wired PSTN exchange infrastructure is life expired & there is no option but to move on to an internet based phone service fit for the 21st century.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Ask for a tech visit at the switchover of your phone line & a technician will wire your hub to your current master socket.

There will be a lot of people in your situation, but suffice to say ALL landline providers are either currently or will soon be migrating to some form of VoIP hub based lines. The old wired PSTN exchange infrastructure is life expired & there is no option but to move on to an internet based phone service fit for the 21st century.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@1malcolmgeorge wrote:

<snip>

I DO NOT WANT A PHONE IN MY LOUNGE and I am certainly not rewiring through all those areas of my home, so what are my options???

Put the base unit for the phone in the lounge plugged into the router (shouldn't need to have a phone on it to work) and set the base to be silent (no ringing).

Buy an extra charging base for the handset which was on the base unit to create a new satellite phone and leave that where the base unit was originally (spare phone accessories/parts are usually obtainable from the likes of eBay etc.)

Most modern cordless systems allow control of all functions such as answering machine, missed calls etc. from the satellite units so you shouldn't need access to the base unit itself to use the phones.

If you choose a wired option, also consider any possible cable routes which might take the connection outside and back in again rather than going through the home.

As advised by nodrogd, this change is coming very soon to all telecoms providers/customers, like it or not, so some modifications to existing phone arrangements in the home (either more wiring or some changes to cordless phone setups) will be required.

👍

👍👍

Hi @1malcolmgeorge

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

My apologies, we are converting all telephones to 21CV, the advice provided above can help you with your home setup - please do let us know if you require any further assistance.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

My Landline is in a different room to my Router, so the adaptor I was sent to update my phone doesn't work. How can I still have my Landline working as 21CV?

Hey @simonmaher, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media forums!

I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the 21cv and the router.
We can arrange a visit to get the router moved to the same room as the landline free of charge.
Please let us know if you would like for us to do it and we shall arrange a visit.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs