cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cant receive calls on landline`

harrisons50
Joining in

Afternoon.  I have had a problem receiving calls on my landline since Tuesday, and many people who call me get an unavailable tone.  I spoke to the help desk on Wednesday night (but were more interested in my email and password from a decade ago).  I have tried unplugging my phone from the wall and the phone but no difference.  I was able to call my landline from my mobile yesterday but no longer.  Im not aware anyone else locally (SP11 9SL) has this problem and I havent changed or damaged anything.  My landline is important as its how my family keep in touch with me.  Help 

7 REPLIES 7

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @harrisons50

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your phoneline at the moment. Can you confirm a few checks for me and we'll see if this can be resolved for you. 

Can you confirm;

• Is your phone connected to a master socket or extension socket ?
  • How many other equipment to do you have connected to this socket, if any?
  • Please check all phones are seated in the base unit correctly & powered ON.
  • Remove all other equipment connected to telephone sockets, if any.
  • Are you able to check another phone directly into the main socket ensuring this is a VM socket and not one with a BT or Sky logo. If no alternative handset is available then ensure the original phone is plugged into the main socket with no other pieces of equipment being plugged in.

Let me know how you get on with these checks and if they have helped at all. If not we'll investigate further. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi Carley.

My phone is connected to a master socket on the wall as it has always been.  Its VM socket installed when I moved in.

Nothing else is connected to that socket.

I have checked my phone and its all OK.  I can now call it from my mobile phone which I couldn't do 2 hours ago.

I don't have another landline phone in the house im afraid.  My actual landline phone does have  \BT logo on it but I have had it for several years.

Does this help?

Thanks for confirming that @harrisons50

Your phone itself with the BT logo is fine, it'll be just the socket logo which matters. When you listening to the dial tone does it sound intermittent or 'noisy' like buzzing or would you say the issue has now since resolved itself? Have you had other incoming calls other than you calling from your mobile? Can you also successfully make outgoing calls? 

Here to help 🙂
Carley

I have noticed any buzzing or other noise with the dial tone since this problem has started.  Yes I can make outgoing calls to both landlines and mobile phones.

The only other person who called me was a nuisance call yesterday while I was at work.  But then i then checked with my parents they just got the unavailable tone.

Sorry just to confirm is there buzzing or noise on the line at all?

When you parents called and the line was unavailable where you able to get through on your mobile? How often have you noticed this issue or is this the first time it's happen and is now resolved?

Here to help 🙂
Carley

Carley sorry - I have not noticed any noise on the line.

I couldn't call from my mobile to my land line Wednesday but could on Thursday.  I could not ring earlier today but then could at about 2pm; I have just tried again now and get the unavailable tone.

If you are sure it is not the phone itself and have no way of testing another phone line to be sure, I can book a technician in for you. 

There will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment 
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
  • If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment.

Please join me on private message so I can locate the account and book the earliest available appointment for you. You can see your private messages in the top corner of the screen with the envelope symbol. 

Here to help 🙂
Carley