cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub5 needs a phone with REN1

peterashuk
Tuning in

I upgraded to a Hub5 and we lose incoming speech on our phone (the line doesn’t disconnect the caller can hear me).  have been told this is because the REN value is too low.  I have a Panasonic DECT phone system.  I understood that the REN value was how much load was put on the line and that lower was good. So I don’t understand why the VOP has been designed like this.

Please can someone let me know what make and model will work with the Hub5 ?

Most adverts I have looked at in the UK don’t specify their REN value.

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@peterashuk wrote:

I upgraded to a Hub5 and we lose incoming speech on our phone (the line doesn’t disconnect the caller can hear me).  have been told this is because the REN value is too low.  I have a Panasonic DECT phone system.  I understood that the REN value was how much load was put on the line and that lower was good. So I don’t understand why the VOP has been designed like this.

Please can someone let me know what make and model will work with the Hub5 ?

Most adverts I have looked at in the UK don’t specify their REN value.

This 'REN too low' answer from VM has been trotted out many times on here before.

In the last topic where speech was being lost on the line it was also trotted out but eventually (after the customer went on a wild goose chase with DIY investigations based on the low REN claim) it turned out to be a known area fault (Grimsby area if that has any relevance for you)

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/DECT-phone-connected-to-Hub-3-0/m-p/5232739

The Hub 5 has plenty of issues still to iron out and telephony is one of them.

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello peterashuk

We're sorry to hear of the landline issues experienced following the upgrade to the Hub 5, we appreciate you raising this via the forums and welcome to the community.

We aren't able to advise which handset to purchase but other members of the forums may be able to point you in the right direction if they have experienced similar issues or have knowledge of this.

Are you using the landline via the adapter and TEL1 port on the Hub? From looking there doesn't seem to be any area issues or problems with the landline itself. When did you first experience this? Was it immediately after getting the Hub? 

Rob

The audio on the incoming call was a problem as soon as we got the Hub.  This was ‘fixed’ after a couple of days but we regularly lose audio on the incoming l after a few minutes.  

Each time I report the issue the engineer asks me to reboot the hub as he thinks this will fix things.

PS we had no problems with our previous Hub

Do you experience any other service issues with the Hub or is it just relating to the calls and audio?

Rob

Does the customer's telephone ring clearly, if yes its REN is fine.

VM need to rectify the in call telephony fault for this customer.

Customer Support are hopeless.