cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3

payney1974
Tuning in

My landline can’t receive calls, after lots of faffing about, I’ve now been told I need a VOIP phone? 

I’ve read on here that any phone will work! 

what’s the deal? Do I need a VOIP phone or not? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Looking at our systems, this is not something a tech could fix and a ticket was raised to fix it on the switch. 

I am sorry this has happened, we are not a fault free service and we have raised this to fix. 

If you are leaving us for another provider have you raised a number port request as the number may be lost?
Zoie

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

19 REPLIES 19

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Can you elaborate on "can't receive calls"? In what way? No ringing sound or no incoming calls at all?

Are you a new customer who has ported an existing number to VM? Sometimes calls to a ported number won't ring through until the port is complete (while you are on a temporary number).

You don't need a VOIP phone. That works in a different way via a network connection. Any ordinary modern phone should work with the phone connection via the hub.

Thank you, I am a new customer, (Tuesday) , I have kept my own number (which is for my business) and when you ring my land line you either get a message saying this number no longer exists (very worrying when my customers have told me this, one thought I’d gone out of business!!) or a couple of beeps and cut off! 

Did you instruct VM to port your existing landline number over to VM when you took out VM services?

If so, the port may be in progress. Topics on here do sometimes mention number ports which get stalled in progress or don't complete properly for some reason. Sometimes VM mess up the porting process and the number goes AWOL (hopefully not in your case).

If you dial out from your landline to your mobile, what landline number comes up on the caller ID on the mobile (don't post any phone numbers here on the public forum)? You may still be on a temporary number until any number port completes.

You'll need the VM forum team to provide further advice. They normally reply on here within a day or two but may take longer now with the BH w/e.

(Incidentally, this forum is one for residential customers only so if you are using VM Business services you would need to go via that route for VM support)

Thanks for the advice, it’s only for my small one man heating business so I didn’t need to have a full business set up (I’m going to divert the phone to my mobile anyway as I always did with BT and SKY)

I have rang my mobile and it does show up as my landline number.  

I’m lucky as it’s a long bank holiday weekend and wouldn’t get many calls anyway but I need this fixing ASAP.

If caller ID shows your correct landline number then that sounds hopeful. You may just need to wait for incoming calls to come through in due course. Or your number port might be stalled part way through for some reason and require some extra action from VM to get the incoming calls.

The VM forum team reply to posts on here in order and, with a residential line, you get no service level agreement on fix/response times etc. As already stated, the normal VM forum team response times might be delayed by the BH w/e.

If you are wanting to eventually do call diversion when the line is working properly, I think that is an add-on feature for VM landlines at an extra monthly cost so you should probably check that is on your package if not already there.

https://www.virginmedia.com/landline/calling-features

Thanks for your help and fingers crossed it gets sorted soon 🤞

I think I added call divert at the time of ordering or I was told to get set up and then add it. I know it’s an extra cost but it’s much cheaper than hiring a secretary 😂 

Hi payney1974,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome both here and to Virgin Media, I will be more than happy to check your number has come over and also add call divert, so I can help I will send you an invite into a private chat, once received please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Still not receiving calls! Tried 3 different phones now so I’m either really unlucky with phones or It’s a problem with Virgin! 
I spoke to SKY today about going back to them and they said your number doesn’t show up (the number doesn’t exist) 

I went online to raise a complaint tonight, filled out the questionnaire and pressed submit but it doesn’t look like that worked either!! No complaint logged on my account!! 

@payney1974 OK let’s go back to the beginning and see if we can’t work out what has happened here - oh and by the way, the VM complaints process is terminally broken, even if it is logged then chances are you’ll get some generic ‘ok sorry about that’ message and the complaint closed with no further action taken.

So did you have a phone number with Sky? When you moved to VM (beginning to regret it yet?), did you request a number port (ie transfer your phone number to the new provider ie VM)?

Now, here’s the important point, did you at any point call Sky and tell them you were leaving and to cancel the contract? If you did then alas, you have fallen foul of OFCOM rules which say that a number port can only happen as long as there is not an existing cancellation order. If you did contact your old provider and tell them you want to cancel, then alas, you may well have screwed yourself and the number is lost - permanently - sorry.

So, bottom line, did you call Sky and cancel your old contract or not?