cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 second telephone socket

Tangent
Tuning in

Hi,

My VM router (hub 3) is located in a cupboard. Since it was installed on 17th April, the only phone which works in my house is the unit which is plugged into the router. All my other phones connected to extension sockets installed by BT are now defunct.

I understand this is because VM fibre uses VOIP instead of a landline.

Having just the one phone in a cupboard is not very convenient. At no time when I took out my contract did Virgin inform me that I would lose the use of my internal extensions. Further when the technicians fitted VM fibre they noted that I had internal extensions but failed to inform me that they would no longer work.

Naturally I am feeling cheated and misled.

I could go and buy a multi handset system but this still means the base unit would need to be attached to the router. Its not convenient going into a cupboard to check your answering machine also!

Is it possible to get the the second telephone socket on the back of the Hub 3 enabled and if a phone was connected to this would it share the same phone number as the phone plugged in to the first socket?

If this can be done I could salvage something from the mess VM have left me in.

39 REPLIES 39

Lee

Certainly satisfied so far and pleasantly surprised. Fingers crossed that the technician can fettle it.

Regards
Dave

Hi,
I had to have a tech visit yesterday to reconnect our services after contractors installing fibre for Openreach excavated to hear out Virgin connection in the pavement; and cut through our telephone and Broadband cable in the pavement.  The tech joined the Broadband/TV cable but was unable to joint the telephone cable due to missing wires.  He has therefore connected our DECT Cordless phone via our Hub. We did have an extension connected to the original phone socket which is no longer connected mainly so we could connect a corded phone if there was a power cut.  I presume this no longer matters because the Hub will not work without Mains Power so it is not possible to use the digital phone connection for emergency calls?

Hi there @MarvinAndroid

Thank you so much for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you have been confused after these issues with your landline. 

It sounds as though you have been migrated over to the 21CV phone line. In this case we can install a back up battery for you so that in case of a fault with the Hub the phone can still be used to make emergency calls. 

I'll send you over a PM now so we can investigate this together. Please keep an eye out for the purple envelope in the top right corner of your screen alerting you to a new message.

Thank you. 

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can use your mobile phone in a power cut situation

That’s presuming I have one.

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Most people do, and besides you can pick one up for under £10 and that will allow 999 calls the same as the kit virgin provide. The EBUL only allows 999/112 calls

@MarvinAndroid wrote:
That’s presuming I have one.

Maybe the clue is in your forum name!

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

SAWelshman
Joining in

I believe that the following answers the questions about how to keep extension sockets working as VM transitions to phones connected to the router.  It also indicates how to add extension sockets if needed.

I have Virgin Media broadband and also had a telephone line connected to a Virgin Media master socket. I had wired in a couple of extension sockets to the master socket. One extension in the hall and one in a bedroom in the opposite corner of the house. This is surprisingly easy to do, and I’ll give some pointers at the end of this item.

My landline telephone stopped working. The phone would ring but voices were inaudible at both ends. I had to call out Virgin Media. Their technician fiddled about for a little while but finally provided a small adaptor which allowed him to connect my telephone to the back of the router.  Hey presto – the telephone works but left me with one connected handset and no working extension sockets. The Virgin Media technician suggested I buy a set of wireless-connected handsets to solve the problem. This is a setup where a wireless-enabled base station is connected into the only available socket and other handsets, in wireless-enabled cradles, connect to this basestation. OK as far as it goes, but what if you have a burglar alarm that plugs into a telephone extension to dial out, or your router is downstairs in one corner of the house and you need a handset upstairs in a bedroom in the opposite corner? It’s unlikely that these setups would make the wireless connection.

There’s a partial solution to this problem by getting a “BT plug to RJ11 crossover” cable. I got one for less than £3 on ebay. You plug the RJ11 end directly into the router, removing any adapter provided by Virgin Media, and the other end into the Virgin Media master socket.  Any extension sockets wired into the master socket now work OK.  In my case that means I can plug my main phone into the extension I have in the hall, and I can continue to use the handset that I have plugged into the extension in the bedroom.

If you have any problems then check that the extension socket wiring is consistent. That means using the correct colour coding for the cables and wiring them into the correct connectors on each socket. See the really excellent video I’ve mentioned below.

It's a partial solution because the master socket is no longer available for a handset – it has your new cable plugged into it. I could have worked around this. I would have had to make some minor adjustments to the extension wiring. I would take the cable for one of my existing extensions, say the hall extension, out of the master socket and add a cable for a new extension in its place. At this point I have two extension cables running into the master socket – as before. This new extension would be physically mounted just above the master socket. Next step would be to relocate the cable for my hall extension into my new extension socket.  Then this socket also has two cables running into it. I would then have both my extensions as before plus a new socket to replace my unusable master socket.

Why not simply wire three cables into the master socket? Because of the excellent advice given in a Youtube video on how to wire up extension sockets.  It’s entitled

“How to install a NTE5 Telephone Master Socket and Telephone Extension”

To find the video, just search for NTE5 on Youtube. It makes clear

The video points out how there are sometimes six connectors on an extension socket, but only numbers 2,3 and 5 are used. Note that if you’re dealing with a Virgin Media master socket, you may well find a block of four connectors, with numbers alongside from 1 to 6. None of the numbers line up correctly to the sockets! What you need to know is that Virgin Media have helpfully removed connectors 1 and 6 (they’re not used anyway), leaving you connectors 2 to 5. Connector 2 is at the end labelled 1, and connector 5 is at the end labelled 6. Geniusl!

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @SAWelshman,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your first post and I'm glad to hear that you've been moved onto our new landline system through our Home Phone Switchover.

If you have a burglar alarm attached to your landline, we would recommend getting in touch with your alarm service provider to see if they have compatible systems to the new landline set up. Most service providers in the UK are looking to move their services over to the new 21CV (twenty-first century voice) system where the landlines are connected through the broadband router. 

If there are any issues you're experiencing with your landline connection, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to investigate this further for you. We're here to assist.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@SAWelshman wrote:

I believe that the following answers the questions about how to keep extension sockets working as VM transitions to phones connected to the router.  It also indicates how to add extension sockets if needed. <snip>

In addition to the above, you need to ensure that the old incoming phone line from the street is isolated from the master socket so as to avoid any possibility of linking the new phone connection from the hub back to the old phone network equipment in the street.