cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hub 3.0 compatible telephones

MickH123
Tuning in

I have the dreadful HUB 3.0, and after a year of suffering dropped telephone calls I am now told my handsets are not compatible! Way to go Virgin - took a year to diagnose that !! 

Needless to say I asked what handsets to buy and, Tech support were useless, all they say is get a DECT / VOIP handset.  I found a page on the Virgin website listing compatible handset, they were all fossils and no longer available.

Utterly sick of this - so don't want to spank more time and money only to be stuck with phones that don't work with this router / network.

Thought I'd left telephone problems back in the 80's - appears not.

So, PLEASE - anyone - can you let me know which handsets to get.  We're in the UK, we need wireless and 3 handsets, that's all.

Thanks in anticipation

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I have a Gigaset AL415 and no issues, just had to get Virginmedia to turn off Voicemail as it has it own Answerphone built in.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MickH123 wrote:

" What are the issues you have had with your existing phones? "  The calls keep getting dropped

" What is the make/model of your existing phone(s) and how old are they approx.? " 2 years old, BT TRIO 093671

" Makes from Panasonic, Siemens and BT  " Do you have any model No's that we know work?

The reviews of the BT TRIO 093671 on Amazon are very mixed. The negative reviews report a whole range of different random faults with that model. The issue may actually be a poor model from BT as claimed by VM.

However, there have been lots of past posts on here where VM has told the customer to buy new phones to solve a fault, only to find the original phones were not the issue.

When you say the 'The calls keep getting dropped', do you mean the call cuts out in the middle of a conversation or the incoming calls are not ringing through to the phone properly?

That model has trueCall screening built into it to prevent nuisance calls ringing your phone. Are you meaning that incoming calls are failing to get through to the phone and cause it to ring?

If you do actually want the trueCall feature on a future phone, then I think the only models which have it built in are from BT, or you would need a separate trueCall device and an ordinary cordless phone.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MickH123,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting.

We don't have a list but the majority of modern handsets are compatible with VoIP. 

Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MickH123 wrote:

I have the dreadful HUB 3.0, and after a year of suffering dropped telephone calls I am now told my handsets are not compatible! Way to go Virgin - took a year to diagnose that !! 

<snip>

So, PLEASE - anyone - can you let me know which handsets to get.  We're in the UK, we need wireless and 3 handsets, that's all.

Thanks in anticipation

What are the issues you have had with your existing phones?

What is the make/model of your existing phone(s) and how old are they approx.?

Makes from Panasonic, Siemens and BT are mentioned on here as being used successfully by VM customers. Unfortunately, there is not a cast-iron guaranteed make/model which will work on VM 21CV. Any ordinary modern phone should work on the 21CV connection but requires the VM adapter (BT socket to RJ11 plug) to connect the BT plug on the end of the phone cord into the back of the hub. Cordless phones are best used on the 21CV connection. Base station into the hub and use cordless extensions around the home as required.

When 21CV/phone problems are listed on the forum they are usually to do with caller ID not being read properly or the phones not ringing for an incoming call. These problems usually happen with much older kit (15+ years old) or where there is an issue on an individual customer's connection.

Buy from somewhere with a good returns policy so, in the event that you do run into a problem, you can exchange the phone.

" What are the issues you have had with your existing phones? "  The calls keep getting dropped

" What is the make/model of your existing phone(s) and how old are they approx.? " 2 years old, BT TRIO 093671

" Makes from Panasonic, Siemens and BT  " Do you have any model No's that we know work?

Hi Ayisha,

Do you have any model No's that we know work?

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

I have a Gigaset AL415 and no issues, just had to get Virginmedia to turn off Voicemail as it has it own Answerphone built in.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MickH123 wrote:

The reviews of the BT TRIO 093671 on Amazon are very mixed. The negative reviews report a whole range of different random faults with that model. The issue may actually be a poor model from BT as claimed by VM.

However, there have been lots of past posts on here where VM has told the customer to buy new phones to solve a fault, only to find the original phones were not the issue.

When you say the 'The calls keep getting dropped', do you mean the call cuts out in the middle of a conversation or the incoming calls are not ringing through to the phone properly?

That model has trueCall screening built into it to prevent nuisance calls ringing your phone. Are you meaning that incoming calls are failing to get through to the phone and cause it to ring?

If you do actually want the trueCall feature on a future phone, then I think the only models which have it built in are from BT, or you would need a separate trueCall device and an ordinary cordless phone.

Hi,

"When you say the 'The calls keep getting dropped', do you mean the call cuts out in the middle of a conversation or the incoming calls are not ringing through to the phone properly?"

Calls drop in the middle of a conversation, ringing through seems OK, no one is reporting they can't call us.

As an update, Virgin now say my handset should be ok !!  And they have run chacks and there's nothing wrong with the network!!  So, that's it, they have washed their hands of it ... 

I am now looking at having a separate landline from another service provider, how rubbish is that 😉

Hi MickH123,

We're very sorry to hear your continuing to have this issue. 

I have located your account and can see you have spoken with the teams. 

Can you confirm if you have had a technician visit?

^Martin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Before looking into another supplier, you probably need to try and establish whether it is actually the BT phones causing the problem or not (not sure that has happened in the thread so far)

I think if it was me, I would get a very cheap corded phone (might be best for it to be a non-BT brand). These are available from the likes of Argos etc. Unplug the BT phones temporarily from the VM hub and just use the corded phone for a few days. (It is always handy to have a spare corded phone around anyway, for the purposes of testing/backup etc.)

Run just the corded phone for a few days and see if you still get the call cut-out problem. If you do still get the call cut-out problem, then you have tried a different handset/make and would have some better evidence to go back to VM with to show a line fault.