cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get my landline reactivated for use in the socket.

Reece11
On our wavelength

When I joined Virgin Media they disconnected my landline socket that my landline used to be connected into.

How do I go about getting it reactivated, instead of having to have my landline plugged into the back of my router, all that DOCSIS/VOIP nonsense.

It was actually a guy called Michael from the sales team that disconnected my landline as part of the 30 day disconnection prior, I specifically asked him not to do this as I wanted to keep my landline connected into the socket that it has always originally been plugged into via the telephone cables.

VOIP isn't entirely 100% secure either. Apparently, even older people who don't have broadband now have to have broadband router's as the telephone companies are phasing out the socket type connections from the telephone wires. So I hear, is that true?

I did speak to someone at Virgin Media about it previously and they said that a ''fee'' might be involved just for reactivating it. Hold on a minute. I never asked for it to be disconnected in the first place so why on earth should I have to pay a ''fee'' for this to be done?

3 REPLIES 3

Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your previous landline socket has nothing to do with Virgin Media and will still be ‘physically’ connected to the BT Openreach network which is completely separate from Virgin Media’s network.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Reece11,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for posting. 

I will pop you a PM now so we can grab some details and take a closer look into this for you.

Speak soon.

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Reece11 wrote:

When I joined Virgin Media they disconnected my landline socket that my landline used to be connected into.

How do I go about getting it reactivated, instead of having to have my landline plugged into the back of my router, all that DOCSIS/VOIP nonsense.

It was actually a guy called Michael from the sales team that disconnected my landline as part of the 30 day disconnection prior, I specifically asked him not to do this as I wanted to keep my landline connected into the socket that it has always originally been plugged into via the telephone cables.

VOIP isn't entirely 100% secure either. Apparently, even older people who don't have broadband now have to have broadband router's as the telephone companies are phasing out the socket type connections from the telephone wires. So I hear, is that true?

I did speak to someone at Virgin Media about it previously and they said that a ''fee'' might be involved just for reactivating it. Hold on a minute. I never asked for it to be disconnected in the first place so why on earth should I have to pay a ''fee'' for this to be done?

Virgin no longer use hardwired landline phones & are migrating everyone to next gen 21CV lines, as are all telephone providers. In 2025 all the old analogue telephone exchanges will be switched off, along with the technology that has been running it for over 100 years. The move to digital will in fact be far more secure, as all the scam calls & number spoofing that currently goes on can be stopped almost overnight by end-to-end authentication. If you have extensions with your existing set up, this is classed as additional work. They are classed as your property not Virgin’s, so you will be charged to hook them up. Even if Virgin was still using POTS wiring, they would have installed their own master socket as they have their own network & exchanges.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks