cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to connect landline

Gemm5000
Settling in

I havent used my landline in years, possibly not even while I have had virgin but i want to connect a landline a it is part of my package.  I still have a BT old phone socket on the wall, my number still just rings out and i have a brand new phone.   Can someone clarify i need to do the following/

take the cable from the phone, put it into the connector which changes it to ethernet style and plug straight into my virgin hub?  is that it? thanks

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gemm5000 It depends whether or not your telephone connection has been switched to via the Hub yet or is still 'old style'.  Have you actually tried plugging your new phone into the wall mounted VM phone socket which will look like the BT ones? 

Was the connector that you mention provided by VM at installation?  If so then yes use that to plug the telephone into Tel 1 on the Hub.  It isn't an ethernet connection.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi thanks for your prompt reply. Yes i plugged it into the wall, and sat back to congratulate myself on having a new phone, but it wont work.  If i try to phone out there is just nothing, no dial tone,  and if i ring my number it just rings out  for the caller but not on my new phone. 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I have edited my post but it crossed with your reply. Look at the last paragraph i added to see if that helps 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

no its a BT socket. i dont know if i have ever had a landline when i have been with virgin.  Do i need a wall box that they installed?  I obvoiusly have the wifi and tv hubs.  

(I know its not an ethernet cable, it was just a discription of the look of the end of the cable.)

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Try plugging the phone into the adaptor and plug into Tel 1 on the Hub.

If it works good, if not log into the Hub settings page and it should say whether telephony is enabled or not.