cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for VM to initiate number port

matiushu
On our wavelength

I requested my existing BT/plusnet number to be ported across to VM phone when I added the phone to my contract. I requested this on 24/2/2022

I understand it takes 10 working days for the number to be ported, but does anybody know how soon VM initiate the request and what customer services number I can check this on ?

I keep getting conflicting dates when the number will be ported from the customer service team, either the 3rd or 8th March.

My existing provider hasn't received the request as yet and I cannot cancel the service until the number has been ported so incurring double charges.

Requesting here as the VM customer service team is useless as you get a different answer each time you call. It has been frustating to get a simple service started.

17 REPLIES 17

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @matiushu,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm very sorry to hear that you're experiencing some ongoing issues with your landline number port. 

Was it on 24/02/22 that you made the number port request with Virgin Media? It does usually take 10 working days for the request to come through and to be completed. I'm very sorry to hear that you feel this way about our services, we're doing all we can to help and to provide you with accurate information.

I can see that you're speaking to one of our staff members via Private Message. They will come back to you as soon as possible and help you further there.

Keep us updated on how you get on and if you need any further assistance. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for your reply.

I just want to know if the request has been initiated. I am having to revert to the community as I simply cannot trust what the customer service team tell me.

I did get help from Zak_M on the forum who kindly helped to get field engineer to drop a telephone adapter. The actual order on my account is still open and I still haven't got a delivery date for the starter kit. I also haven't got confirmation that the number port has been initiated and the correct date the number will be transferred.

So far I haven't had any luck with the following which I am still waiting on and I have 

1. Email confirmation of the credit and waiver of activation fees that were agreed and should have been applied within 48 hours.

2. Number port initiated and exact date it will be completed. I was given conflicting dates by the customer services team - 3rd and 8th March. I am paying 2 providers for the service until the number is ported.

3. Whether the full new telephone starter kit that I paid for will ever be delivered although I have a used adapter from your field engineer.

One thing I fail to understand is the customer service team is itself useless or is it the company that wants them to operate in this fashion. So all they seem to do is field calls and escalate to another team. You can never speak to a manager, the rep will never take sole responsibility to complete a customer request to the end, all they do is escalate internally and add to the notes, so a customer can never be sure that their issue has been resolved and they just end up calling again and again. In my mind a customer service team that can just do this should never exist - they should be able to resolve a customer's issue first time. 

Its telling that I have only moved anything forward by this forum and not customer service team.

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

A word of warning. The correct OFCOM landline porting procedure is that the new provider handle BOTH the port request & cancellation of the old providers service. DO NOT CANCEL THE OLD SERVICE YOURSELF.

Any cancellation by you, even for a future date will mark the line (& number) as “pending disconnection”. This will effectively block any ongoing number port request & you could lose your number as a result.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

matiushu
On our wavelength

Yes I haven't cancelled it because I want the number ported first

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @matiushu,

Thank you for coming back to me. I'm very sorry to hear that you've not been given a correct date for the number port. I would advise that it takes 10 working days for the number port to be complete.

I can see that @nodrogd advised you correctly - you need your former landline provider to keep the landline active for the number port to be complete.

I am very sorry that you've had some issues with the customer services team when calling in. I can see that you have responded to my colleague. They will be back with you as soon as they can.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

OK, will wait for your colleague to come back to me on my number port and date it is initiated.

All through this issue I have noticed both my virgin media online application and the mobile app are both incorrect. The online app literally says I have no package service I think and the mobile app doesn't show my open order. Which team should I be speaking to about this - I tried billing yesterday and they had no clue. Just kept fobbing me off.

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @matiushu

Please do keep us posted on how things go with the number port.

Sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with the My Virgin Media app and the Mobile app. What happens when you try to View Package Details in the My Virgin Media app? Is there no information showing or does an error message occur? Have you taken a look at this link for more information on the apps?

Kind regards,

Serena

matiushu
On our wavelength

Hi Serena

The app issues seem to have resolved themselves since yesterday. 

However I now have another issue.. I have a "Talk More Anytime" contract but I am being charged for 03 (0345/0344) and 01 numbers where I have spoken for less then 60 minutes.. I think my contract has been set up wrongly, but billing say they cannot resolve it and I should raise a complaint.

I thoiught this should be resolved by contracts or customer services... who can I contact please on this ?

Hi @matiushu,

Thank you for the update. I'm glad to hear that the app issues have now been resolved.

Regarding the package and costs, I believe you're speaking with one of my colleagues via private message currently regarding a landline related query. Please continue to respond to them there where they can assist you further.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!