cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I report a landline fault, when my phone line is not working ???

tom12334
Joining in

My landline is not working with no dial tone. I have gone round in circles on the online help. The number to call is a 0345 number to report the fault. Is there a free phone number to call as the mobile provider I have will charge a lot for use of that number.

The bot was useless.

The only apparent way to report the fault online was by making a complaint. I raised a complaint but that apparently will take 48 hours at leats. In the meantime, I have no working landline.

From the message boards - I can see this observation about no where to report the fault, has been going on for years !!!! Why isn't it fixed. Provide a free phone number to call in, would be the obvious suggestion.

Any advice on how, I can speak to a person at Virgin to report / resolve the fault ?

NB Service checker says that there is no phone fault in my area, apart from perennial Home TV faults, it says phone is fine. The box on the wall is secure, and I have tried equipment, which is working. No faults there. There is no dial tone.

Virgin can be a very frustrating company to deal with, when there is a fault.

4 REPLIES 4

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

03 numbers are landline numbers. So whatever your mobile provider charges to call an 01 or 02-prefixed number, the charge to any 03-prefixed number will be the same.

If you have a bundled minutes allowance, then landline numbers usually come from that allowance.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Tom,

Thank you for reaching out to us via our community and welcome, sorry to hear you have had no phone line and haven't been able to contact us, I have been able to locate your account and can see you have spoken to us and also that a technician has been arranged,

you can check the date and time via your online account here. If you have any issues with accessing your online account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know, and we’ll pop you a message to confirm.

There will be no charge for this visit unless:
•    The technician diagnoses the faults as not being caused by our network/equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
•    The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for
The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.
Please ensure there is someone over the age of 18 present at the time of the visit. If you need to change or cancel your appointment you can do this online or via the My VM app by 4pm the day before the appointment.
If you do miss an agreed appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment?

Regards

Paul.

Not impressed by the threat of £25 fine for the visit not going ahead. If the line wasn't at fault, then I would not be contacting. I don't mind reminding to keep the visit, but I have never missed an arranged technician visit. Its a pain, losing service, and getting to report the fault, was a challenge. The constant - have you checked that your equipment plugged in type of question is not appreciated. I checked the phone line with two different phones and tried to plugging into the hub as well. If you look back into the service status for the area, there has been a nearly constant difficulty or at least a year, causing disruption to parts of the service.  Its extremely variable. I had to upgrade to the fastest connection and drop, Majority of TV services to get a stable connection due to drop outs severly hindering work and study.

I had to go to my own mobile provider, to confirm how much I was going to be charged for contact with Virgin. Acknowledgement that the person may need to use a non virgin media provider & providing an alternative contact email or free number (that works and is managed) for phone line faults, would assist greatly with fault reporting for landlines. This has been an issue for years with looking at similar topics from looking up the community board.

We're sorry to hear you're not happy with the prospect of a £25.00 charge @Tom1234 - this is to ensure that our team is not wasted by customer who may be perhaps be making ill advised decisions on how to use our services, or are not able to guarantee entry to their property, in the agreed time slot, resulting in a wasted truck

Do please keep us updated with the visit and if you need further assistance, do feel free to come back to us

Kindest regards,

David_Bn