cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phones not working

walrus2106
Tuning in

I initially reported a fault on 12 Aug 22 stating I had lost my service on my home phone, you can ring but on picking up it will continue to ring for the caller, but not connect from my end. A technician was booked for 16 Aug as the first available slot.

On 13 Aug I received a text stating We've put your service visit on hold while we investigate a network issue affecting your services. We'll update you you when this is fixed. No call, no update.

I called again on 16 Aug as I still had no working phones and was informed that they could see no reason it had been postponed and they would put me in touch with a technical team.

They identified the core issue as being with the junction box in the street which I had already told them about(the pair count is off by 10 in that particular box and has been for as long as I've been a customer).

They also stated its affecting multiple customers and a field network team  problem and that the fault is line and signal centric outside the property. I was assured that the landline would be up and running within a maximum of 24-72 business hours. It's still not fixed.

They also stated that a special ticket had been raised highlighting the impact on my home phone service. 

I have tried again to raise this by phone but keep losing my mobile signal, they did try to call back on my home number and were able to confirm the fault as it still rang even when I tried to answer, however, It's still not fixed.

It has now been 12 days since they "upgraded" the system in my local area and I'm still no closer to having working phone lines.

I should add that I have tried 3 different sets of phones around the house even with all sockets unplugged, it makes no difference.

8 REPLIES 8

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @walrus2106, welcome back to the forum and thanks for your post.

I'm sorry to see that you have been having these ongoing issues with your landline. Just to confirm, have you been able to check our service page here to see if the issue has been updated on there?

Also, when the team mentioned this ticket to the IT team, did they give you a reference? 

Please let us know so we can assist further.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

The status page reports everything as ok, the problem is within the street cabinet, we've had this happen before, people come out to work on the box without knowing about the pair count.

They gave me no reference for a ticket I just have the conversation with them saved on my WhatsApp.

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @walrus2106,

Thanks for providing the update on this. I'm really sorry things still haven't been fixed. I've taken a look on our end and can see the area fault you have referred to has since been resolved, meaning we would need to get a Technician out to attend your property.

Please look out for my private message in the top-right, in the purple envelope.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Fault finally fixed, as stated it was an error in the street cabinet

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @walrus2106,

Thank you for coming back to us with an update - I'm glad to hear things are back up and running.

Please let us know if you need anything else, and our team/community will be happy to lend a hand.

Cheers,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I'm not happy with this Auto compensation scheme, it states that I have been credited with £58.80 for total service loss of 7 days, I was without phones for 19 days from the day of reporting to the day it was fixed. The Ofcom site states the rate of £8.40 a day, that should take it to £142.80, with compensation due after 2 days without service. That's 17 days at £8.40 from 2 days after the fault was reported and set out on the Ofcom site.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hey walrus2106, thanks for your posts and replies on this matter.

Sorry to hear the compensation applied was not reflecting the amount you believe you should be credited with based on the amount of time it took to restore the service issue on your landline previously.

I am eager to help by reviewing your account and what's happened so we make things right for you in case this was processed incorrectly.
To enable me to check this for you, I will send you a private message here shortly.

Please check the top-right corner of our forum and you should see a purple envelope. 
Click this and you'll see my message.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

@walrus2106 wrote:

I'm not happy with this Auto compensation scheme, it states that I have been credited with £58.80 for total service loss of 7 days, I was without phones for 19 days from the day of reporting to the day it was fixed. The Ofcom site states the rate of £8.40 a day, that should take it to £142.80, with compensation due after 2 days without service. That's 17 days at £8.40 from 2 days after the fault was reported and set out on the Ofcom site.

The forum date/time system doesn't indicate from your post at #5 on what exact date your phone came back on.

If you reported on 12 Aug (a Friday), VM gets two clear working days to fix before the compo clock starts counting (15 and 16 Aug). If your phone was still off at 17 Aug then you would get an initial payment of £8.40 to cover the 'payment trigger time' (12 to 16 Aug inc.) and £8.40 per full day after that.

If your phone cam back on 29 Aug (forum date says 2 weeks ago from post #5), that would be 12 full days of no service plus the payment trigger time figure of £8.40 = £109.20 total (adjust accordingly if the phone came back on later than 29 Aug).

That's my understanding of how it is calculated. Hopefully that gives you something to compare with any later revisions made by VM on what you are owed.