cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone switchover - House Alarm

Gesmond
Joining in

I have received a Fibre Phone Adaptor, but I also have a House Alarm currently plugged into the phone socket, the alarm phones my mobile phone if it goes off. I have not been able to get an answer from any of the Virgin Teams on how or if I can connect this back up after the switch over. 
I do not think an Emergency back line would work, as this only calls 999 or 112 numbers, not my mobile, any help appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would be talking to the alarm company, as this changeover is not unique to Virgin. This is in preparation for all PSTN telephone exchanges being switched off in 2025 & every line in the country must therefore move to VoIP based operation using a customers internet hub.

The same is true of personal care SOS alarms, some of which have moved to mobile network operation already.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thanks for your post on our Community Forums @Gesmond, and a very warm welcome to you!

Sorry to hear you've not as of yet been able to get a firm answer on this one. 

Can you please confirm if the alarm is for emergencies - such as to ensure the safety of someone vulnerable within the property, or if this is simply a house alarm that alerts you when there's an attempted break in?

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Hi, it is just a house alarm that alerts to mobile in case of break in

Thanks for confirming @Gesmond, as per the advice given from @nodrogd, this would be best posted to the manufacturer of the alarm as they as a business would need to be able to ensure precautions are taken to help support customers whose provider are due to switch over to the VoIP lines - which will be widespread over the industry within the next few years.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

I am doing that, but if my equipment supports VoIP how would I connect to the hub, can I just use a splitter as I am doing at the moment, or can I connect into the 2nd Tel port on the back of the hub, would this need configuring?

Thanks for coming back to me @Gesmond, this may also be a question that needs to be placed towards the alarm company.

But you should be able to plug in the service via the 2nd Telco port on the back of the hub - you may however need to purchase an adapter to accommodate for this - which may be an RJ11, but the alarm company should be able to confirm this for you.

The actual switching over, from landline to VoIP, would as far as I'm aware be the very configuration you're referring to.

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Gesmond wrote:

I am doing that, but if my equipment supports VoIP how would I connect to the hub, can I just use a splitter as I am doing at the moment, or can I connect into the 2nd Tel port on the back of the hub, would this need configuring?

Pretty sure @David_Bn  has got it wrong above. Current users have confirmed only one RJ11 port is enabled on the back of the hub (marked TEL1). This replaces the master socket you currently use so should be treated the same. The second RJ11 port is for customers renting a second telephone line on a different number.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks