cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone number

Datbee
Joining in

I have recently moved and (eventually!) was reconnected, after about 20 years with Virgin and predecessor.  I was never given the option to retain my landline number from my previous address, and have now been given a new exchange number (01934) which relates to an area about 50 miles away!  This is causing problems when I make calls as the recipient may not answer my call as the area code is unfamiliar.  I have been told that 10943 is the only option.

5 REPLIES 5

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Do you still live in the area covered by the same local telephone exchange as where you used to live?

If not, you have no option but to accept a different number. The codes are area specific. Only internet VoIP services allow you to take an area coded number anywhere you like.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Datbee,

Welcome to the Community Forums! Thank you for your first post.

I'm sorry to hear that you weren't given the option to retain your existing landline number when moving addresses. However @nodrogd is absolutely right - if you are moving into an area that isn't covered by the same exchange you won't be able to bring your old number across. Can you please confirm if this is the case?

If not, we can certainly look into getting your number back 🙂

Thanks

Beth

Beth

No, I wouldn't think I'm in the same area (Middlesex to Wiltshire!) - but a part of my complaint is that I wasn't made aware of that option this was even possible.  The main point is that I find it ridiculous that Trowbridge  and Weston Super Mare is over 50 miles away.  This could cause problems with non-answered phone calls as the recipient doesn't know anybody in W.S.M.  Another point that I wasn't made aware of before signing on.  I'm afraid yet another lack of communication and decent customer service from Virgin  (5 weeks of lies and broken promises before we were transferred!)

Datbee

Hi Datbee,

I am sorry that you feel this way. I can appreciate your frustration however the team likely didn't mention the option to you as it's not possible in your case and wouldn't have made a difference.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can discuss your complaint with your further.

Thanks

Beth

Beth

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Datbee wrote:

No, I wouldn't think I'm in the same area (Middlesex to Wiltshire!) - but a part of my complaint is that I wasn't made aware of that option this was even possible.  The main point is that I find it ridiculous that Trowbridge  and Weston Super Mare is over 50 miles away.  This could cause problems with non-answered phone calls as the recipient doesn't know anybody in W.S.M.  Another point that I wasn't made aware of before signing on.  I'm afraid yet another lack of communication and decent customer service from Virgin  (5 weeks of lies and broken promises before we were transferred!)

Datbee

Trowbridge comes under the Bath STD code area (01225) so you should have one in this allocation if you have VM in this area.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks