cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone not working.

Kempy68
Tuning in

My landline intermittently stops working. This has been going on for two weeks. Sometimes the phone is not working (no dialling tone, unable to make or receive calls) during the day and then comes back on later in the evening. 

I have done all the system checks on the website which says ‘no problems in your area’ . I have phoned 150 and got through to someone who advised me that there is an outage in my area and engineers are working on the problem. No one could tell me when the problem will be fixed ! 

Any ideas ? 

36 REPLIES 36

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kempy68

Thanks for your post 

Sorry the landline is still not working

We are working on fixing this by the 24/03/22 at 10am 

Were just carrying out some final checks 

If its still an issue after 10am, pop back and quote reference number F009725686 and we can update you 

Gareth_L

Re: F009725686 

Hi, 

The landline reappeared this morning at around 10am. Bad news is, it is now down again this afternoon. Not working. 

It would be good if someone, somewhere could give an honest response as to why this is happening instead of being fobbed off by lame excuses. 

Thank you. 

Hi kempy68 

Sorry to hear this has happened again 

The fix time has been moved to 10pm today and is under reference number F009728724

Gareth_L

Re: F009728724

Same as before. Landline comes on in the evening (sometimes 10pm and sometimes earlier) then goes off the next day at lunchtime and off the rest of the day. 

Not sure how long I amexpected to put up with this ! We heavily rely on the landline for receiving and making calls and so feel greatly affected and inconvenienced. 

Can someone please advise me when this will be finally fixed ! 

Re: F009728724

Landline came back Thursday evening but not working again late Friday morning. Off rest of the day Friday. Came back on Saturday (26th March) morning when I got up. Then off from lunchtime ! Nothing working so far....... ! 

This really is getting too much. When is this ever going to be fixed and how much longer do I have to put up with an intermittent service. Not good enough Virgin. 

Please explain what the problem actually is and why it’s taking so long to fix. 

Hi Kempy68, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

Checking the reference number, this fault was closed as resolved on 24/03/2022 23:46:22. 

If you're still having issues with your services after this then it won't be due to the fault. We'll need to check a few things with you before we can book an engineer. 

• Does the landline work if plugging a different handset into your socket?
  • If you don't have another handset, are you able to try your handset in another socket?
  • When calling any number, do you get any tone?
  • When receiving calls, does your landline ring at all?

Pop back and let us know so we can help further. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Kath F

In answer to your questions :- 

I don’t have another handset.

There is only one socket to plug into.

There is no dialling tone or anything just silence.

Unable to receive calls. When the land line number is dialled there is no ringing at all just silence. It cuts off with 3 bleeps. 

Hi Kempy68, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this one. 

We won't be able to fix this remotely so I would like to arrange for an engineer to come to take a look at this for you. I just need to confirm the address to ensure we are booking the visit on the correct account. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Hi Kempy68, 

Thanks for coming back to via private message to confirm your information. 

I have booked you in for the next available appointment. To view this please sign in to My Virgin Media here: My VM. Once logged in, scroll down to Orders & appointments then click on View your orders. You can also view this in the My VM app. If you have any issues with accessing your account or unable to see your visit, please do let us know and we’ll pop you another message to pass data protection and then confirm the appointment details.

Just to confirm, there will be no charge for this visit unless:

• The technician diagnoses the fault as not being caused by our network/equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to your equipment
  • The technician discovers that the fault or problem relates to any system that we are not responsible for

The technician will confirm during their visit if any of these instances apply, and if so, a £25 charge will be applied to your account.

Please ensure that someone over the age of 18 is at the property for the time the engineer is there. If the appointment is unsuitable or if anyone living at your property has tested positive for Coronavirus, has been asked to self-isolate or has flu-like symptoms then please reschedule the appointment on the same link. If you do miss the appointment for any reason, a £25 missed appointment charge will be applied to your account on the day of the appointment so it is important to reschedule if needed. 

Lets us know how the appointment goes. 

Take care.

Kath_F
Forum Team