cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone not ringing (but ringing for the caller)

HughJass
Tuning in

I have re joined Virgin 2 weeks ago (I was with Vigin about 3-4 years ago) and I have been on a temparary landline number whilst my number was transfered.

Today I had people trying to call me on my landline (my now transfered number) but they were just getting the ringng tone so called my mobile to ask where I was. I was home but the phone is not ringinging in the house. The temparary number worked fine so I called Virgin and after 90 mins, yes 90 mins on the phone to the people reading from scripts in india and after checking everything and rebooting my hub etc etc, they have determined that my phone is not compatible! Well how come it was fine last time I had Virgin an was fine on the temparary landline number??

His explanation was that the REN number is too low and that I need to but a new landline phone set. I switched to Virgin to try and save money not spend more!

I find it hard to beleive that the problem is my handset as it worked fine last time I was with Virgin and whilst using the temp number that was allocated to me.

Does anyone know if this phone should be compatitible: Gigaset C630A base with handset C630H?

12 REPLIES 12

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi HughJass 😏,

Thanks for using the forums to get this issue with your landline services looked into, I am sorry if this has been causing some frustration along with the poor experience on the phone to our faults team! I would be more than happy to look into this for you. 

It could be an issue with the handset, but it is unlikely to be honest. Lets investigate and find out what is really happening! 

Can you tell me about your landline set up below please? -

• Are you plugging your handset into your wall socket or into the Hub? 
  • Just as a process of elimination, do you have a spare handset to plug in just to test it? 
  • Does the issue with incoming calls happen with specific numbers - Mobile numbers, landline numbers or maybe it depends on what area they're calling from? 
  • I also have a really helpful link here which gives more information on landline faults - Landline Issues 📞 Which may be quite helpful!

Thanks!

Megan_L

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HughJass wrote:

I have re joined Virgin 2 weeks ago (I was with Vigin about 3-4 years ago) and I have been on a temparary landline number whilst my number was transfered.

<snip>

When you dial out from your landline to your mobile, does your mobile show the correct caller ID (for your ported number)?

When you dial in to the temporary number VM gave you, does your landline ring?

This sounds more like something has gone wrong with your number port.

The explanation that your 'REN number is too low' is just a nonsense answer that the telephone support people give out to every 'non-ringing' problem call when they have reached the end of their fault finding decision tree.

Hi Megan,

Yes the phone is plugged into the Hub, just as it has been since installing the equipment (into line 1)

I called my mobile and my mobile displays my home phone number (so it has been ported over)

I am borrowing a different handset in the next 15 mins to try, so I'll let you know.

No incomming calls come in whether it be a mobile or landline or where from, they all just get a ringing tone while nothing happens on the handset an home

Yes calling my mobile shows the correct landline number.

The temparay landline number is now just dead when dialed

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HughJass wrote:

Yes calling my mobile shows the correct landline number.

The temparay landline number is now just dead when dialed

When you dial in to the (correct) landline number from your mobile, if you answer the call on the landline, does the call connect through (even though the phone doesn't ring)?

No, I tried that with the guys in India, I just get a dial tone

I have just tried a different (Panasonic) phone and I get the exact same results!

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@HughJass wrote:

No, I tried that with the guys in India, I just get a dial tone

Sounds like your number port has gone adrift somewhere and is not fully completed.

Thats what I beleive too, but after 90 mins on the phone to Indians just reading scripts and then to be told to buy a new handset, to say I am dissapointed with the service is more than an understatement!