cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone connection sockets?

pamies
Joining in

I've just ordered a Virgin Broadband + Phone package.  We're expecting an engineer later this week to run cable (this is the first time the property will be connected to Virgin).

For the phone line, will our phone plug into the back of the Broadband Hub?  Or will we still use the old BT / Openreach phone socket?

Or, will the engineer install a brand new phone socket that's separate from the BT / Openreach socket, but also separate from the Broadband coax cable and hub?

12 REPLIES 12

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The phone line will be through the hub as your a new customer and you will need to ask to install a master socket, VM do not use the BT cabling it is separate cabling once VM have installed their socket all you will need to do is remove the extensions from the master and connect to the VM socket if you have any.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks DJ_Shadow1966.

Is the Master Socket that VM would install just the same as an Openreach master socket?  I already have a master phone socket mounted into a wall panel with other ethernet sockets, etc.  It is brand new and not connected to anything else (it was going to be for BT, but we decided to go with Virgin instead).  I was hoping this could be used for the VM phone line, but maybe that's not possible if VM use a special type of socket.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

The master socket that VM will install will be their own brand new and not connected to anything else just the hub, VM cannot use the BT master socket as it isn't their equipment.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 'Master' socket is the one on the Hub itself.

Any physical socket that is installed away from the Hub acts like a normal landline extension socket

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Hi

The orange and white wire seems to have come out of the wall socket where my phone connects and we now have no land line . Ive got the socket apart but where should the orange and white wire go to - is its between the other two wires?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@toton1 wrote:

Hi

The orange and white wire seems to have come out of the wall socket where my phone connects and we now have no land line . Ive got the socket apart but where should the orange and white wire go to - is its between the other two wires?

The wire that is orange-with-white-trace-marks is normally used for the ringer wire by convention. If disconnected, it should not affect the operation of the landline except for some older devices which may require it to generate their ringing sound (assuming your phone sockets have been wired to the normal colour convention that is).

Is the socket in question the VM master socket or an extension socket of your own?

Hi , its a socket that the phone plugs into has got the VM logo on it. A cable goes from it to the box where the cable comes into the house. The other 2 wires are blue and white and seem to be connected in place in the socket. Any ideas?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like you are describing the VM master socket. VM have responsibility for the master but not extension sockets.

Have you tried a different corded phone into that socket to eliminate an issue with the phone?

Have you run the online tests for your line and checked the service status for any known area faults?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/home-phone-features-not-working

You may possibly have a fault on the line.

I will give those ideas a try thank you