cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone Services Change - Letter

BusheyTrader
On our wavelength

I’ve just lost 45 minutes that I won’t get back thanks to VirginMedia.  Each time I contact them it’s like returning to the dark days of Ntl’s zero customer service.

I received a letter advising that VM had been trying to contact me - Untrue - no communications at all - to advise that my phone line is changing to one connected to the VM hub and I need to call them.

The contact no. is on of those where you’re taken through lots of options, none of which referred to this enquiry, then I waited 25 minutes to talk to an offshore person.  Another 20 minutes later and I was eventually told I’ll receive a text message stating when an engineer will call.  There was no chance of arranging an appointment at the time so I shall expect to waste another 45 minutes trying to arrange a visit that’s convenient.

As per NTL, the service is ok until there’s any change required or intervention with a person, then it’s a regrettable experience.  I’m looking at my options as I’m out of the contract period.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@BusheyTrader wrote:

Yes goslow,  the engineer offered to move the router next to the landline socket.

I declined since I couldn’t see the point of it sitting on a worktop about 1.2M from the kitchen sink.  It’s next to the TiVo box.  

Although we have several hard wired land line boxes around the house, we have cordless phones around the house so the cordless base station is plugged in to the router.  But that’s not the point…

For clarity, I was saying above not to accept a move of the router but to get VM to fit a telephone wire link from the phone socket on the VM hub to your existing phone extensions sockets to connect them to the hub. That way all equipment and sockets stay as-is (or was!). If you are now working satisfactorily via your cordless setup, then no further need for the sockets.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi BusheyTrader

Thanks for posting on our community forums. Sorry to hear of your recent experience, this is not the service we are aiming to provide to any customer.

As you have advised that you have already spoken to a member of the team this morning regarding your home phone switch over, you will be sent a text message within 4 hours to confirm an appointment time and date.

We do apologise that you received no prior communication before we sent you a letter.

We would normally send communication to the email address we have registered to your account, so if you did not receive this we can only apologise. 

Once you have received your text message, if the appointment is not convenient, we can see what availability there is to re-schedule this. 

Kind regard Jodi. 

Hi Jodi,

It’s now the morning after the day before.  

It’ll be 24 hours since my conversation with VM shortly.

I’ve had no communication by text or email regarding an engineer’s visit.  I didn’t ask for this technical change to my home phone.

Apologies that no text arrived BusheyTrader,

Did our team check your contact details whilst on the phone to them?

I would be more than happy to check your account and see what installation date they have down for you.

I will pop you over a private message to take some details from you. Please click on the purple envelope to accept the chat.

Kind regards Jodi. 

The VM engineer turned up on time so all good there.

We weren’t advised beforehand that connecting the landline to the router necessitated a new router.  Additionally, the landline handset had to be located beside the router since VM doesn’t lay wires to where they once were.   VM is morphing back to it’s Ntl predecessor.

Hello BusheyTrader.

Thanks for your feedback.

If there is anything else we can help with. please let us know.

Gareth_L

@BusheyTrader wrote:

The VM engineer turned up on time so all good there.

We weren’t advised beforehand that connecting the landline to the router necessitated a new router.  Additionally, the landline handset had to be located beside the router since VM doesn’t lay wires to where they once were.   VM is morphing back to it’s Ntl predecessor.

Ask VM (via one of the VM forum team on here) to modify your home phone wiring so you can use your existing landline extension sockets via the phone connection from the VM hub. This may involve some additional phone wiring but should be possible to do while minimising disruption.

VM should offer to do this free of charge for you as part of the switchover process.

Make sure they make modifications to your phone wiring so you can keep each piece of equipment in the same place (rather than the offer which sometimes crops up on here to move the hub to a different location)

Refer here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover

Do I need to book a technician visit?

You’ll need to book a free technician visit if...

• You rely on your landline for accessibility needs or don’t have a mobile to make an emergency call – we’ll provide you with an Emergency Back Up Line so you’re always able to call emergency services.
  • You’ve got connected devices such as a burglar alarm linked to a control centre, use a telecare device, or have other phones connected to extension sockets. You’ll need to contact your provider and let them know about the switch if you have any of these to make sure they’re compatible with a fibre service.
  • The Hub and your home phone can’t be placed near each other.

Hello BusheyTrader

If you need any help, please let me know.

Gareth_L

Yes goslow,  the engineer offered to move the router next to the landline socket.

I declined since I couldn’t see the point of it sitting on a worktop about 1.2M from the kitchen sink.  It’s next to the TiVo box.  

Although we have several hard wired land line boxes around the house, we have cordless phones around the house so the cordless base station is plugged in to the router.  But that’s not the point…

@BusheyTrader wrote:

For clarity, I was saying above not to accept a move of the router but to get VM to fit a telephone wire link from the phone socket on the VM hub to your existing phone extensions sockets to connect them to the hub. That way all equipment and sockets stay as-is (or was!). If you are now working satisfactorily via your cordless setup, then no further need for the sockets.