cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Alarm

Asim123o
Joining in

I have just moved  to VM and I have a home alarm system which notifies me if the alarm is triggered. However, VM is now providing phone line via the router which wasn't made clear to me even though I transferred my number to VM. In order for my alarm notification to work I need a traditional phone line. Otherwise, my alarm system is not optimal. I can't get any proper guidance from anyone at VM as I am been given conflicting information such as you can't have a traditional line, the alarm will work with the DOCSIS line or call Gadget Rescue who might charge you. I feel cheated and unsupported as a new customer. Any guidance or help will be appreciate. 

Kind regards

Asim

25 REPLIES 25

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello Asim123o

Thanks for bringing this matter to our attention 

Sadly our new VOIP does nor support home alarms

It's hard to be blunt and say this, but we do nit have a support scope for 3rd party equipment

If you can seek advice from the Alarm company to see if they have an alternative for VOIP lines. that would be good

Gareth_L

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Asim123o wrote:

I have just moved  to VM and I have a home alarm system which notifies me if the alarm is triggered. However, VM is now providing phone line via the router which wasn't made clear to me even though I transferred my number to VM. In order for my alarm notification to work I need a traditional phone line. Otherwise, my alarm system is not optimal. I can't get any proper guidance from anyone at VM as I am been given conflicting information such as you can't have a traditional line, the alarm will work with the DOCSIS line or call Gadget Rescue who might charge you. I feel cheated and unsupported as a new customer. Any guidance or help will be appreciate. 

Kind regards

Asim

This is something the alarm companies need to address, as support for traditional phone lines will end in the whole of the UK by 2025. It’s not just Virgin. BT & all the companies that use its exchanges will also be moving to VoIP during the next 5 years, with the old exchange structure eventually being dismantled.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It depends who is the alarm system provider. In my case I can switch from landline to mobile network but there will be a cost to do so which I'll bear when PSTN is phased out.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

Gareth,

Thank you for your advice but I need to inform you that I resolves my mattee through a simple solution which I hadtodiscover myself and it cost no more than 50p. 

All I need was an adaptor that goes in my old phone socket on the wall into which I connect my phone and the modem. This then provides a signal to my alarm and to my phone. 

I disappointed with VM because that advice they gave me could have led me to spend hundreds of pounds including one CSR trying to get me to sign up to some gadget wise company. 

I believe some more training for VM staff is required for this matter. 

I believe for companies which moving to VOIP should be sympathetic to customers with such matters and help resolve such issues rather than pass the buck. 

It goes a long way to care. 

Sorry to hear you feel this way Asim123o but glad to hear this has now been resolved.

Rob

What adapter did you use? I'm going to have the same issue as well soon and want to get ahead of the curve before hand

Zakko
Joining in

We seem to have exactly the same issue as many on here where our alarm would trigger a call via the original phone line.

What makes it worse is the complete lack of customer service of knowledge. It 4 calls being cut off or bounced around, repeating security and the story to get the resemblance of any answer, one guy even presumed I’d called about the TV box.

Long and the short there seems to be no resolution and no responsibility by the provider, more a case of sod you it’s your problem and your expense with the alarm provider.

These types of issues would have been reviewed at the offset and I think it’s poor that they were not highlighted. Or is it a case of just let it happen and deal with the fallout as there is nothing we are prepared to do anyway.

thanks 

Hi Zakko,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry for the issue you've been having with your home alarm.

As my colleague has advised in this thread we are unable to support 3rd party equipment.

We do advise reaching out the alarm company so they can look into this for you and see what can be done to help.

Our apologies for any frustration with this. 

^Martin

Sorry to be so blunt but again as I say same rhetoric, no responsibility or solution and a case of sod you deal with it at your expense.