cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help port our landline phone number to BT

martyn_t
On our wavelength

I've recently left VirginMedia and want to take our old phone number with me. 

BT has tried three times to request the number but VM are blocking it.  Please could someone contact me and explain how this can be done.  I have spent more time than I want to trying to sort this out already. 

7 REPLIES 7

dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Normally you can't port a number if you have cancelled the service or it is in the process of being cancelled, you need to request the port before you contact virgin to shutdown the service 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @martyn_t 👋,

Welcome to our Community Forums and thanks for your post. 

We're sorry you have left us and are experiencing some problems with taking your number with you.

Your new provider would need to initiate the port request.

Can you confirm if your line is still active with us?

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

martyn_t
On our wavelength

BT have requested porting the number three times.  Twice while I was still a VM customer and once since I have left you. 

Due to the timescale involved the number is probably no longer active.  My account was officially closed on 06/03.  Attempts were made to port the number in December and again on or around 13/02.   I requested BT try again last week which they did when I was the phone to them and it has again failed.

martyn_t
On our wavelength
I requested it be ported and was tried twice while I was still a VM customer.

Hi Martyn,

We are sorry to hear the number still hasn't gone back to your Via BT, if actioned correctly the number should have been requested before you added your disconnected and when completed this would have cancelled the phone side of things, apologies if this didn't happen.

Regards

Paul.

martyn_t
On our wavelength
Hi Paul,
No, it didn't happen. I appreciate the reply but this doesn't move us on anywhere.
Do you have a name and contact number who I can speak to to move this forward?

Thanks. Martyn.

Hello martyn_t.

Thanks for replying.

Sadly if your account with us has now been closed, it will not be possible for BT to take the number.

Did they advise to what the error was when the account was still active.

Gareth_L