cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed re new WiFi phone adaptor

Scorpiomoon1
Joining in

I have today received a letter informing me if a switch over to fibre WiFi for my landline phone on November .However our landline phone is in another room to the WiFi hub and from what I gather on reading other posts it appears that I will require an engineer's visit to sort this out can someone advise me please .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Scorpiomoon1, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂 

Just to confirm do you not what your landline where your hub is now? 

To move your hub it would be a fee of £25.00

Zoie

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Scorpiomoon1, 

Thank you for your post and welcome to our forums 🙂 

Just to confirm do you not what your landline where your hub is now? 

To move your hub it would be a fee of £25.00

Zoie

I dont want to move the hub It is in another room to the phone I cannot move the phone and I cant move the hub  .I want  someone to sort out what happens when this new adaptor has to be fitted to a hub that is not in the same room as the phone .Its a simple question please can you explain how and when this will be done .In not the only person as evidenced by posts from other people with the same problem. 

Thank you for that information. Sadly there isn't anything we would be able to do for that. The landline handset needs to connect directly into the adapter. 

^Martin

Sorry but there has to be something you can do as evidenced by replies to others with the same problem. Where an engineer has been booked please get your facts right because your reply is inaccurate. 

Hello Scorpiomoon1,

Thanks for replying.

I do know we can book an engineer on the upgrade day to relocate any equipment that a customer wishes to have set up.

I'd like to take a look into this for you.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Allow me to quote from VM's own website page regarding the phone migration.

I have several phones connected to extensions – will these work?

Yes – when our technician pops around to install the new Hub (if you need one) they’ll make sure all your phones work too.

What if my hub and my phone are in different rooms?

Ideally, the Hub and your phone should be within 2 metres of each other. Our technician will chat to you about this when they connect the Hub. If you’d like your phone to be further away from the Hub, our technician may need to do additional wiring. Don’t worry, this won’t cost any extra.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/fibre-phone-faqs 

or these

I have multiple handsets plugged into multiple sockets, will all my handsets continue to work?

No - for phone extensions to continue to work, you will need to arrange a tech visit to do some home wiring changes.

Does my device still need to be plugged into an electrical socket?

Your telephone will only work when the main handset is connected to the hub, the main handset will also need to be plugged in via an electric socket in order to keep the phone charged. If this is a corded phone, then the telephone would need to be moved to where the hub is situated. If you would like to keep your telephone where its already sat then an engineer would need to be scheduled and install a cable from the hub to the main socket.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/landline/switchover 

Plus, of course as the OP says, the numerous threads on here from other customers who have had engineer visits to rewire the hub back to the master socket.

So I need to book an engineer ? .Is that something you can help with and when would I need to do it .? I'm afraid your not being very clear in what exactly is required .I dont want to have to take this further but I'm still not sure what I need to do or how to go about it .

Kind regards 

Jennie 

You'll need a technician visit.

It should be straightforward to run a cable from your existing phone socket(s) to the back of the hub, and connect that to the hub's telephone port.

VM should be able to co-ordinate that with the phone line switch over - so the technician manages the change once they have completed the necessary wiring work.

This should be free of charge, as per Jem's post quoting Virgin Media's own website!

Is there a number to ring shown on the letter you received?  Or just call VM on 150 from your Virgin Landline.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I know a bit about Wi-Fi, Telecoms, and TV as I used to do it for a living but I'm not perfect so don't beat me up... If you make things you make mistakes!