cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - call barring removal

Lizzie01
Tuning in

In 2000 I had call barring on my landline with BT so callers that withheld their number didn't get connected I now want to reverse this as I am missing calls from hospitals as they withhold their numbers. I have asked both Virgin & Bt to do this & both say they can do nothing has anyone any ideas

[MOD EDIT: Subject title changed for clarity]

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Who do you currently have your landline service with, BT or Virgin Media?

Did you move a phone number previously with BT over to VM?

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Lizzie01 wrote:

My phone is a panasonic KX-TG6801E

The manual for that phone below

https://www.argos-support.co.uk/instruction-manual/4597698-panasonic-kxtg6801-cordless-telephone-wit...

on page 23 shows you have a withheld number block feature available on that phone and the behaviour you are describing matches the manual description of what happens when it is enabled.

See if you have the withheld number block feature activated.

Main Menu>Initial Setup>Nuisance Call Block>Withheld> set to Off

Then dial in again using the temporary 141 withheld feature and see if the call comes through OK

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Glad that the fix was a simple one!

Unfortunately having that withheld feature switched off will mean you might now see an increase in the number scam calls coming through using withheld numbers. So you might have to turn that feature on/off depending on whether you are expecting any hospital/doctor calls or not if the scam calls prove to be too annoying.

Many of the scam calls will claim to be Virgin Media (or BT, Microsoft, Amazon etc.) offering to 'fix' your broadband. This can be confusing, especially if you have had a recent problem like you have just had. These are all scam calls as VM do not make unsolicited calls like this so be aware of this possibility and just hang up without talking to them if you do receive such calls when the 'withheld' feature on the phone is switched off.

12 REPLIES 12

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Who do you currently have your landline service with, BT or Virgin Media?

Did you move a phone number previously with BT over to VM?

I'm with Virgin now, I did keep the same number when I moved from BT to Virgin

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I think you will need the VM forum staff to look into where the block lies.

VM have anonymous caller rejection (ACR) available as part of their service but you have to buy into that and pay extra per month for the service.

Have you tried a test yourself by using another phone to dial into your landline and prefixing your number when dialling with 141, which should withhold the number you are calling from just for the one call? Then see what message you get when calling in. That would confirm you have a general withheld block in place.

Also worth double checking any settings on your landline phone handset. A good many of these do have the option to block withheld numbers on the handset. Might be worth checking something like that isn't accidentally turned on by mistake.

The VM forum team normally reply within a week and are usually quicker than that.

Tried phoning from another number withholding number it shows private call but doesn't ring. Virgin have checked my account & nothing shows up, I don't pay for call barring as in 2000 it was free with BT.  I do have a blocker on my phone which I use for numbers from scams etc but now of these are from hospitals etc

goslow
Alessandro Volta

When you call in using a withheld 141 setting, what do you hear when you are calling in on the phone you are calling in with? Do you hear the usual ringing tone like you would normally while waiting for the phone to be answered or do you get a voice message that withheld numbers are being blocked on the line?

The fact that you are seeing a 'private call' message being displayed at your end but no ringing suggests it is at your end where the block is happening.

What make/model of call blocker or blocker phone are you using?

It rings once on the phone I make the call on but nothing on my landline. I only know it says private call when I check my landline phone.

Hi Lizzie01,

A warm welcome to the Community Forums! Thanks for your first post.

I'll pop you over a PM now so I can check over your account to see if the block is caused by a feature on our end. Please look out for my message over at the purple envelope.

Kind regards,

Beth

Beth

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Lizzie01 wrote:

The manual for that phone below

https://www.argos-support.co.uk/instruction-manual/4597698-panasonic-kxtg6801-cordless-telephone-wit...

on page 23 shows you have a withheld number block feature available on that phone and the behaviour you are describing matches the manual description of what happens when it is enabled.

See if you have the withheld number block feature activated.

Main Menu>Initial Setup>Nuisance Call Block>Withheld> set to Off

Then dial in again using the temporary 141 withheld feature and see if the call comes through OK