cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HUB and Telephone too far away

titchell
On our wavelength

I have received the short adaptor for the landline to be connected to Fibre.  My phone point is in the middle of the house and connected to the Intruder Alarm whilst the Hub is at the front of the house.

I have read of people getting technician visits to re-site the Hub next to the phone point.  Although a technical solution, in practical terms, I have not long redecorated most of the house and do not fancy having a huge amount of cable stapled round my skirting boards and door frames to re-site the Hub in the hall.
Secondly I do not fancy having the Hub flashing away in my hall and would not have enough AC sockets to site it there and then would have to have longer ethernet cables back to the front of the house where the interfaces for my wired devices are.

Is there not something that can be done externally to the house or even a WiFi adaptor option?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@titchell wrote:

Alarm will be compatible but cannot move it as it is wired in through the walls to the sensors

Presumably the existing wiring (coax from the VM hub and phone line to the phone socket and alarm's phone connection) converge at the front of the house outside in a VM omnibox.

If so, the VM tech should be able to run a new phone cable from the VM hub in its present location (following the same path as the coax cable) to the omnibox outside. Within the omnibox outside, the VM tech should be able to disconnect the old incoming line from the street then link the new phone cable from the VM hub to the existing internal phone wiring within the omnibox.

Not a 'wire-free' solution but new wiring should be minimal and should be able to follow the path of an existing coax cable.

If the above is a no-go, then the alternative wire-free solutions have been described in earlier answers above.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @titchell,

Welcome back to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're not completely happy with the new Home Phone Switchover process. 

I understand that you have a security alarm connected to your current landline. Most devices will work with the fibre phone line. However, your security provider will be able to tell you if you need to update your equipment make it compatible. We would advise you check the compatibility with your provider before your new phone line is installed.

If you'd like to arrange a technician visit to talk this through in detail with one of our engineers, please let us know and we'll be happy to arrange this for you. 

Please be aware that we are looking to move all customers onto this new landline system as soon as we can as the old copper connections are less reliable.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

I do not want to have all the additional cables stapled to skirting boards & door frames as I have decorated and moving the phone into the front room is very inconvenient.

This is being forced on the customer without full consideration of the end users.  Maybe you could provide a replacement VOIP service + phone/answering machine with the same phone number?  😀

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @titchell,

Thank you for coming back to us. I'm very sorry to hear that you're unhappy with this new change. However, we are looking to complete this process across all customer homes. 

If your landline phone is cabled, you can consider purchasing a cordless landline phone which can be situated anywhere within your home.

If there's anything else we can do, please let us know so we can help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

So solution is for me to buy a new phone?  Doesn't help with the Alarm system as can't move that

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sadly there is not much that can be done. The UKs entire landline system is being migrated to the digital age, where it will use the internet instead of separate switching exchanges.

VMs phone switchover uses the hub to transmit & receive calls, but still uses the switched exchanges until 2025, so a VoIP or WiFi solution is not available yet, as the calls use a separate IP tunnel back to VMs existing exchange & therefore don’t touch the internet.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @titchell,

Thanks for coming back and I can understand your frustration. I can see that once of our valued members @nodrogd advised you further on the Home Phone Switchover situation.

As advised previously, you would have to contact your Alarm System provider directly to see if their system will be compatible with the new landline connection set up.

If there's anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

Alarm will be compatible but cannot move it as it is wired in through the walls to the sensors

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @titchell,

Thanks for coming back. In order to discuss this in further detail we would advise you contact the Service Provider directly as we cannot advise on third party services and equipment.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

My alarm is connected to my landline but has the option to use a GSM connection, not sure if WiFi is also available. As PSTN will be gone by December 2025 the alarm providers have had plenty of time to develop alternatives to landlines.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection