Menu
aftertherain56
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Freephone Numbers

Hello Everyone

First of all I'm new here, although not new to Virgin Media, so hi to all 🙂

My question is, should I be getting charged for making calls to 0800 numbers from my landline?

I always assumed these were free from all landlines, but recently noticed I've been getting charged for them.  I have the Talk Weekend plan.  I called VM to question these charges, and they said "calls to 0800 numbers are chargeable if used outside your call plan i.e. Monday to Friday."  Surely this can't be right?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Freephone Numbers

Short answer- no.

0 Kudos
aftertherain56
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kippies

Thanks for your reply.  Do you, or anyone else have any advice as to how I can go about proving that these are unlawful charges, in order to get them refunded, as I've already called VM and the guy I spoke to was adamant that the charges do apply.  I was on the phone for over 45 minutes trying to reason with him but all he kept saying was "they're only free if they're included in your plan." Smiley Mad

Thanks 🙂

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

I ll ask staff to get a look- they should be able to clear it up

@ModTeam 

Can someone get a look, correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK (taken from OFCOM's guidelines) 0800 should ALWAYS be free.

0 Kudos
aftertherain56
Joining in
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Kippies Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi aftertherain56, 

Welcome to our community forums! 

Sorry to hear you've had some conflicting information regarding 0800 numbers, it should be free from landline and mobiles.

Can you confirm the full number you've been charged for? 

Many thanks, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
aftertherain56
Joining in
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi Hetty

Yes, the number was 0800 355 3229 which I dialled but it's showing up on my bill as 0345 355 3229.  I've been charged £3.74 for two calls on my latest bill, and looking back over the last 12 months' bills, I was also charged £7.85 for two calls to the same number in October 2018, even though I know for sure I would have dialled 0800 and not 0345.  I only use my landline for free calls and use my mobile for 02 and 03 numbers etc.  As I can only view my last 12 months' bills I don't know whether or not I've been charged for this number in previous years.

VM are trying to say that I've dialled 0345 and not 0800 but I know that isn't the case, and something else which has come to light since I viewed my bills in depth is the fact that on more than one occasion I've been charged for dialling the 150 number.  That changed to an 02 number - 02037066001 and I was charged £8.32 three calls to VM (this has since been credited back to me) although I now need the previous years' bills to be checked to see if this has happened before.  So this strengthens my case that dialled numbers can somehow change and become chargeable, as from reading other posts on the forum, other customers have also been affected by this 150 glitch.

I have raised a complaint and have been told someone will come back to me within a week regarding this issue.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for providing the above information. 

We are aware of an issue where our '150' number was incorrectly charging customers last year, this should had been resolved now. 

With regards to the 0800 number, we have tried calling it our end to see if we can replicate the issue and it seems the number doesn't work. The 0345 would be the alternative, have you been able to check what number was dialled on your handset? 

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
aftertherain56
Joining in
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've checked my handset and I've only dialled 0800 numbers.  The number (the 0345 one on my bill) belongs to eBay but I always dial eBay on 0800 numbers which are free.  So, I'm not sure what's happening to be honest, although now eBay are using the 0345 prefix I can use my mobile to call them.  This is the point I was trying to make to VM - why would I dial an 0345 number on my landline (when I know it is chargeable) when I can use my mobile and dial it for free.  My other point was, if a number can change, once dialled (like the 150 did) then it has the potential to happen with other numbers.

Thank you for looking into this Hetty, but because I've raised an official complaint about these issues I've been told someone will be investigating and will get back to me regarding this issue.  

I will keep you informed 🙂

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Please do keep us posted. 

^Martin

0 Kudos