Menu
trueblue52
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Fraud Phone Calls

Hi folks, Is anyone else getting phone calls Saying they are BT and they are going to cut off my Internet connection and to update details.

I know its fraud/spoof calls but how the hell do I stop them. I have had 5 calls in 3hrs today already. I am disabled after an accident and it doesn't help me having to get up and down to answer phone all the time. I have contacted Virgin and they put me on to tps which I am already signed up with and they can't do anything about it.

Does anyone have any ideas how to stop it other than try and change my number.

ghmackenzie
Just joined
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fraud Phone Calls

I have been inundated with calls from 10.15 this morning saying they are BT and something is wrong with my landline.

I know they are scam calls but how do I stop them as I am MEANT to be ex directory. 

Can you please resolve this as I will not be putting up with this invading my privacy and where did they get my number.

Please reply ASAP for resolution.

oh another one coming in as I’m typing this.

0 Kudos
ghmackenzie
Just joined
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Snap been getting calls since 10.15 non stop
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Tom_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi trueblue52 and ghmackenzie,

As you've both been advised this isn't something we would be able to put a block on unfortunately. Being on the TPS service is great for limiting sales calls however isn't necessarily going to stop fraudulent calls coming through as it is unlikely they're going to pay attention to this. The best thing to do is when you get a call through where the number isn't hidden, is to report the number to Action Fraud as they will be able to ensure the number is investigated.

With ex-directory it will stop your number being listed in the telephone directory, however in some cases these people acquire your number through other means, such as purchasing the information from websites you've registered your details on, or having a listed of known numbers that they check through.

The only things we can recommend to remedy these situations is to log calls from visible numbers with Action Fraud or if needs be to consider a number change.

Thanks,

Tom_S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jaeb67
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Actually there is something that can be done and I don’t see why Virgin cannot implement a system in place like other networks. My Grandmother is with BT and has Call Protect which I can confirm is extremely effective, out of the 73 calls she received over the last 30 days only 1 call got through.and yes most of them are the internet scammers calls that everyone is receiving 

you cannot say nothing can be done when it is being done with other phone companies 

I had a chat with one of the scammers and he asked me why doesn’t your network block the calls like other phone networks, even the scammers know how effective it is, of course I didn’t tell him who my network was.

right now because of the lack of anything in place we are sitting ducks. I have had 33 calls are the last 4 days the last one just being a few minutes ago, so there will be at least another 7-8 calls today.

Im sorry if I’m  being blunt but the more I keep hearing nothing can be it gets me more angry. I am being abused and harassed on your system and you refuse to implement anything to ensure the safety of your customers.

we are out of contract so we moving to the lot,TV, Phone and Broadband, I have enjoyed being an XL customer but the last few week have been a nightmare.

Action Fraud don’t get involved unless you have been a victim of fraud it’s not there to do your job of blocking these scammers. 

TPS, scammers ignore it, only genuine market calls adhere to the regulations of TPS.

I don’t mean to be angry but right now this whole thing is on my last nerve 

0 Kudos