cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibrephone - phone compatibility

Frostyballs
Tuning in

Looking to replace our phones with new cordless DECT phones for when VirginMedia move to VOIP later this month.

Was considering Panasonic phones, but Panasonic UK don't recommend using their DECT phones with a VOIP service. 

Any idea which makes/phones will be compatible with Fibrephone ??

12 REPLIES 12

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Frostyballs

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Thank you for making this post regarding the 21CV switchover and which DECT phones will be compatible. Unfortunately, we do not have a list of compatible phones - however in theory, most DECT (Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications) phones will work with the Hub 3.

Best wishes,

Serena

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Frostyballs wrote:

Looking to replace our phones with new cordless DECT phones for when VirginMedia move to VOIP later this month.

Was considering Panasonic phones, but Panasonic UK don't recommend using their DECT phones with a VOIP service. 

Any idea which makes/phones will be compatible with Fibrephone ??

Virgins 21CV service is IP based, but does not use the internet. It remains on an internal system that is driven by the local cable headend. Hence, you do not need a VoIP compatible phone. VoIP phones plug into the Ethernet sockets (not the phone sockets) of the hub & do use the internet, so if you were with any other VoIP provider you would need either a VoIP phone or an adaptor.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roff
Joining in

Panasonic say contact your VOIP provider to supply an adapter to make them compatible

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Roff,

Welcome to the Community and thanks for posting. 

We just wanted to reach out and check if you needed any assistance with getting the adapter

If so, please do let us know and we will be happy to help. 

Thank you, 

Nat

High nat,

when Panasonic say their Dect phones will not work with VOIP, and it will need an adapter to make compatible, do they mean a different adapter to the one virgin has distributed as the connector between phone line and router?

if so, should I also use a DSL filter?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Roff wrote:

High nat,

when Panasonic say their Dect phones will not work with VOIP, and it will need an adapter to make compatible, do they mean a different adapter to the one virgin has distributed as the connector between phone line and router?

if so, should I also use a DSL filter?

VM's phone-via-router isn't a true VOIP connection. The phone socket on the hub behaves like an ordinary telephone socket. So you just use an ordinary phone (as per your Panasonic DECT) and plug it into the TEL1 socket on the back of the VM hub using the adapter supplied by VM.

21-cv-connection-to-hub.jpg

Natalie_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

HI Roff, 

Thank you for your reply. 

goslow has answered this perfectly 🙂

You will just need to use the adapter provided by ourselves.  Has this arrived? 

Thanks, 

Nat

Thanks

yes I have that adapter. What is your recommendation regarding the DSL filter that is on my existing system.

leave it on or remove it

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Roff wrote:

Thanks

yes I have that adapter. What is your recommendation regarding the DSL filter that is on my existing system.

leave it on or remove it

You don't need a filter on a VM phone connection. You can remove it and connect the VM adapter and your phone as per photo at message #7 above.