cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre rollout questions

nsm12
Tuning in

Hi,

I didn't realise this was happening (the email went into my spam).

Anyways - a few bits of advice please.

1. I have my virgin media hub in modem mode. I am assuming the connection for this new phone connection will utilise one of the two 'Tel' (grey connections) in the back of the hub? Will these work OK as my hub is in Modem mode only?

2. I have an alarm system which is currently connected to the current line. Further complicated by the fact that the alarm system (Visonic Powermax Complete) is in a cupboard. So - the connectivity looks like this.

Current phone line comes into the property and goes into a wireless adaptor. And also serves the main telephone. Next to the alarm box (in the cupboard) is the other part of the wireless adapter. The alarm is then connected into this wireless adaptor (standard rj11).

So - the alarm gets its outside line via the wireless system. Has been solid for more than 10 years.

I am not sure if my alarm panel will take a SIM card (that may be an option). But will cost extra. If I do this ... do I need a SIM card that is data enabled ... or just telephone?

If I wanted to go via the new fibre network for my alarm....what would I need to do?

As it happens I already have a spare ethernet (rj45) going from the room my hub is in and into the cupboard where the alarm panel is (luckily). I hope this will help me. How do I convert that into the rj11 that the alarm panel needs (is this the adaptor you guys are sending?)?

Will I need another adapter then - so that my main phone can operate? Does this cost extra to request?

Sorry - lots of questions. The alarm bit is concerning me obvs.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM adapter is this thing (in white)

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/help/Switchover/hub3_rj11_adaptor-...

it does nothing more than convert the RJ11 socket on the hub into a BT phone socket format. It is just a passive connector/adapter (not powered).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Sounds like you have quite a few things to consider.

If your hub is in modem mode or router mode, your phone (after switchover) will connect to the TEL1 socket on the hub.

If you are using some kind of wireless interface to link the alarm to the existing phone socket, would you not just switch the wireless receiver unit which is currently connected to the phone line and connect that to the hub (using a suitable adapter)?

From the online info about Visonic Powermax Complete it appears as if a phone line connection is probably built into the unit as standard and you could maybe use the ethernet cable to link the alarm panel to the hub as an alternative via suitable adapters.

There is some advice here

https://www.britishtelephones.com/rj45.htm

on making voice connections over structured cabling. The VM phone connection from the hub is just a 2 wire arrangement (the A and B wire).

The online alarm panel info also mentions various mobile module options for the system are available as add-ons so that might be an alternative.

The issue mentioned most often on here regarding alarms and the phone switchover is that the phone connection from the hub may not function if the router connection is down for any reason or there is a power cut. For this reason a mobile connection for the alarm might be preferable (although even mobile services may not function fully in a power cut, as I recently discovered myself during a power outage).

Queries about all of the above are probably best directed towards your alarm installer for advice on what is achievable with your system and setup.

Thanks goslow,

Yes a few things going on. And it's only been a day to think about it so far, so I'm sure the options are there.... Just need more brain thinking time on the subject.

Yes, my concern is deffo the router, Internet, going down and so the SIM card route came to mind. I'll talk to my alarm company and look into that option for sure.

Do you know if the adapter they are sending requires power? Or is some inline connection?

Thank you for responding to my questions. 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The VM adapter is this thing (in white)

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/images/help/Switchover/hub3_rj11_adaptor-...

it does nothing more than convert the RJ11 socket on the hub into a BT phone socket format. It is just a passive connector/adapter (not powered).

Thanks again