cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre phone

Andarney
Joining in

Why are VM so belligerent about this change over particularly for disabled people, like me who are also speech impaired. VM ring and I can't speak!  It's on the notes on my account.  Last week my landline was out for 3 days which cancelled out my personal panic is leaving me vulnerable. 3 hours spent on chat and achieved nothing. What happens when I'm left without a landline? Reluctant to leave as all landlines will be changing to fibre so it will catch up with you eventually. Been customer over 20years.  VM told me on 9/7 that they would send a technician to see what is required. I have mixture of analogue and digital phones plus panic alarm.  I'm banging my head against a brick wall!

7 REPLIES 7

Ashleigh_C
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Andarney

Thank you so much for your first post to our community forums and welcome to the team! We're very happy to have you on board. 

I am so sorry to see the concern this has caused you and I can completely understand why this a worry for you! Most security, personal alarms and health monitors should be compatible with our network. However, it’s your responsibility to check with your alarm provider. Also for our vulnerable customers - you will be installed with a back up system so if they loose broadband, they can still call 999. We do have a help page here with more information on this. 

Can I just confirm have you been able to book an appointment with one of our engineers at all? 

Thank you. 

Hi Ashleigh

No date set. Someone rang yesterday from transition team but line breaking up. My mother took the call as she was here, asked to ring back on landline but he didn't.  It's making me anxious that it's all going to go horribly wrong. Last week had no landline for 3 days and of course no alarm.

Thanks for your reply.

No problem @Andarney thank you so much for letting me know! Can I ask if the appointment was to have you changed over on that day? If so I'd be more than happy to arrange this with you over a PM? 

Please let me now if you'd like me to send you a PM so we can get this sorted! 

Hi Ashleigh

I've been advised switchover is October sometime. Work done apparently as that's why last week we had no service (me and others in road).  The appointment was for technician to come and assess what can be done re router and master digital phone as they are in different rooms. I have 1 analogue line plus 2 digital phones.

Thanks for that @Andarney - we have had a look at your account and see you we're impacted by an area issue which has since resolved. Your landline is looking OK from this end so hope all is working correctly for you at home.

In regard to the switchover, we usually don't send anyone in advance to check the set up; i apologise if that is what you may have understood. When you are migrated over to our new VOIP line, you will just get your landline via your broadband hub. The existing sockets in your home will no longer be active once the change takes place as your landline will now be via your hub and not the traditional landline structure.

If you wish to still use a phone in another room, majority of customers are using cordless phone set up and have the base unit plugged into the hub and have the additional handsets placed elsewhere.

If you also need your landline for an emergency alarm for lifeline reasons, we can install a battery back up which will allow you to call 999 if you have a power cut - this will be installed by a technician.

Please do not hesitate to pop back if you have any further queries about the change over later this year and we'll do what we can to answer and ease any concerns.

Hi I had exchange of comments with Ashleigh C last week about this fibre phone business. I've had text and email inviting me to contact to arrange for technician to call. The email is unattended box. I'm speech impaired and that doesn't help to phone since my Text Relay  isn't working.  So, Ashleigh if you are around I would appreciate your time to get this visit under way, since you suggested I come back to you to arrange this.  Thanks

Hi Andarney

Thanks for getting back to us, I'm going to send you a Private Message to get some more details from you.

Looking forward to hearing back from you 🙂

Rob