cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fibre phone upgrade

gavinedwardsmot
Joining in

So, I am after a clear accurate answer. The virgin phone line currently comes down the old BT line.  I fully  understand the bit about plugging the adaptor into the new  hub and into my main phone. No probs.   However if there are extensions in other rooms with fixed BT points wiring in the walls, how are the engineers going to " activitate" these as the old BT fixed  connection will be turned off.  I can only imagine virgin will offer to run a wire up the stairs ? Or suggest I buy a set of handsets that are cordless with a main base unit ( that will be connected to the Hub ). Any simple straightforward other answers ?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Richw1982
Rising star

Virgin and BT are 2 separate networks and use their own network outside the property, not BT's.  They will disconnect the incoming line and 'Back feed' it from the hub to an existing extension/master socket.  This will then liven up all your extensions

I work for VMO2 but all opinions are my own and are based on my own experiences

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All your extensions will be wired to one master socket where the twisted pair now comes in. This is the socket that must be connected to the hub when the tech turns up.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

14 REPLIES 14

Richw1982
Rising star

Virgin and BT are 2 separate networks and use their own network outside the property, not BT's.  They will disconnect the incoming line and 'Back feed' it from the hub to an existing extension/master socket.  This will then liven up all your extensions

Hi many  thanks, so they will back feed it from the hub,  back down the co-ax , to some master socket outside , which will then somehow activate the existing extensions which by definition must be virgin extensions already , as virgin would not use any existing bt extensions that may or may not have been  in the property ? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@gavinedwardsmot wrote:

Hi many  thanks, so they will back feed it from the hub,  back down the co-ax , to some master socket outside , which will then somehow activate the existing extensions which by definition must be virgin extensions already , as virgin would not use any existing bt extensions that may or may not have been  in the property ? 

Stop thinking about your phone service being a separate “line”. 21CV combines your phone traffic with your internet traffic (but using separate frequencies) through the coax to the local fibre node & thence back to the cable headend telephone exchange. In other words, all that is being replaced is the twisted pair copper wire between the master socket & the local fibre node. Inside the house your master socket will still feed all your extensions, but will be wired to your hub instead of the incoming twisted pair.

The second stage will be a full “digital switchover” when the entire service becomes VoIP based using internet servers instead of analogue exchanges.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Not back through the coax they will use phone cable, They will connect the telco port of the hub into the nearest phone socket which will liven up the extensions.  Its not often needed now though as cordless phones are more often used

Ok, so no cordless phones. All fixed handsets that plug into the extension points which you have by definition, said  must already be virgin extension points.   But either way, the engineer will " trigger " something to make sure these are all activated and well as the main phone that will be plugged directly into the hub via new adaptor

Thanks, I do not see them as separate lines. I just wanted to make sure the extensions in other rooms will work fine once the engineer ' triggers " whatever they have to trigger as the main phone will be plugged into the hub telephone port using the adaptor

If your phones are cordless only 1 phone needs plugging in, the others will work of the 1 base unit

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

All your extensions will be wired to one master socket where the twisted pair now comes in. This is the socket that must be connected to the hub when the tech turns up.

As I said, not cordless. All are corded and fixed handsets